Prologue

VIDEO ON THE SIDE IS OF KAITLYN

Regan came home with a pounding headache. After fourteen years of working at Dylan's Garage in South Auckland, he'd finally been promoted to manager.

About time, he thought wearily. He’d been working long hours as a mechanic, and he’d spent many nights alone in the dining room, learning the ins and outs of the business.

Normally, the promotion would have been good news. He'd been struggling to cope with the fact that his wife, Layla, was now a successful events co-ordinator, and the fact that she earned three times the amount of money he earned a year. It made him feel inadequate.

But now, thanks to his promotion, he was earning half of what she earned. It was a huge step up, especially for him. He had no college education because Layla had fallen pregnant with their daughter Kaitlyn at a young age, and he’d worked his ass off at various jobs so they could have enough money to raise their baby. Today, he was starting to feel more like a man, and he was enjoying what he was doing.

Unfortunately, after going through the books the entire afternoon with the broker, Regan could see he was not cut out for the business side of the garage. He had no idea about accounting or balancing books, but even he could tell that something wasn't right. Only, he had no idea what to do about it.

Tiredly, he pulled into the internal access garage and switched his new silver sedan off. He hated the colour silver, but he was planning to do it up and paint it a unique colour that no one else had. It was easier to repaint a car if its original colour was silver.

Sluggishly, he got out of his car and looked around at his garage. Just like the rest of the house, the garage was huge, and paid for by Layla.

Angrily, he huffed out a breath and slammed his car door shut. He walked into the second lounge - their house had three - and dumped his car keys into the bowl on small end table. He groaned and rubbed his face and planned on walking into the kitchen to get a headache pill.

That was, until he saw the two teenagers entangled in an embrace on the long sofa.

“What the hell is going on here?” he yelled angrily. The guy on top climbed off and backed away, hurriedly putting his t-shirt on. The girl on the bottom screamed and tried to cover herself up with the throw from the back of the sofa.

His daughter was topless, and only moments ago, so was the guy on top of her. Regan saw red. He strode over to the guy and grabbed him by the collar.

“What the fuck were you doing to my daughter?” he screamed. “What the hell was going on?”

“Dad!” Kaitlyn screamed. “For god's sake! Leave him alone!”

Regan shoved the guy up against the wall and slammed his head into it. It left a sizeable dent, and Regan was oddly satisfied.

“Leave him alone?” he screeched. “I come home from work to see my seventeen year old daughter with this man on top of her?!”

“Dad, chill out! He's my boyfriend!”

Regan let go of the guy and turned around. He didn't believe it. His teenage daughter thought she was dating this pervert.

“Kaitlyn, he's too old for you!” he said angrily. “He's got to be at least twenty!”

Regan turned around to give the guy a death glare and saw him smirking. He looked down in contempt and scowled at the guy's ripped jeans and baggy t-shirt.

“He's a loser. What the hell made you choose him?”

“I'm great in the sack,” the guy smirked. “That's why.”

Regan growled and punched the guy.

“Dad!” Kaitlyn screamed. “Leave him alone! God, can't you just be cool for once in your life?”

“Cool?” he screamed, punching the guy again. “Cool? Kaitlyn, what's cool now isn't cool in the future, trust me on that one. And trust me to know what kind of idiot he is. He's just using you!”

Layla arrived home seconds later, and saw Regan punching the lights out of a strange guy, and her daughter in tears.

“Regan!” she yelled. “What are you doing?”

Regan stopped punching the guy and stood up.

“This scum was taking advantage of our daughter,” he said coldly. “I came home to find them both topless on the sofa.”

Layla looked at her daughter.

“Really?” she said angrily. “God, Katie, I thought you had standards.”

Kaitlyn was scowling at her parents.

“Go to your room, Kaitlyn,” Layla said exasperatedly. “Just go. We'll talk about this later. Regan, throw him out.”

He didn't need to be told twice. Gruffly, Regan picked up Kaitlyn's so-called boyfriend and dumped him in the back yard. He went and got the hose and turned it on, drenching the guy.

“What the fuck?” the guy screamed. “What the hell is going on?”

Regan scowled. “What's your name, dipshit?”

The guy scowled right back. “Dude! You fucking wet me! What the fuck?”

Regan sprayed him again.

“I asked you a question,” he said sternly. “And I expect an answer. Don’t make me repeat myself. I don’t like it when I have to repeat myself.”

“Name's Carter,” the boy said.

“And how old are you, Carter?”

“I'm eighteen.”

Regan sighed and sprayed the guy again, just for the hell of it. Then he went and turned the water off, leaving a sopping wet Carter on his lawn.

“Ok, Carter,” he said when he got back. “Here's how it's gonna be. You're going to go back to where you came from, and never see my daughter again. If you come near my house again, I will call the police and have you arrested. I think I can fake a crime easily enough. Break and enter, maybe a bit of vandalism. I’m sure you don’t want that.” He eyed the boy pitifully.  “So now you have to get out of here, and never come back. You hear me?”

Carter scrambled away from Regan angrily.

“Dude, chill out. You can't stop me from seeing my girl.”

“Yeah baby! You tell him!” Kaitlyn yelled from her bedroom window.

Regan clenched his fists angrily. He was tired of being the man who couldn't get anything done. He forcibly removed Carter from his property and strode back inside, slamming the door behind him.

He ran up to Kaitlyn's room and pushed open the door with a bang. He was sick of being undermined, and she was going to pay.