prologue

(Unknown)

           I hate my job, I really do. I mean how many people, angel or mortal; have to deliver children, to kingdoms and cities full of unimaginable grief and pain. Places that they hate, where they might be abused, where they might be murdered,  their bodies left to rest in the awful mortal soil for eternity.

           I peered out at the cityscape, the identical, sharp-edged buildings, hinting at the nature of the mad-woman who designed them. I shivered, clutching the baby closer.

            Better just get this over with. I jumped off my perch, my feet chilled from standing on standing on the cold roof. I'd have to go back and comfort the baby's no doubt sobbing mother when I get home. I remembered back to when she and I were both teenagers, when we'd finally passed our tests, and swore we'd never have children, so they wouldn't have to go through what we did.

           I remembered reminding her of that oath on more than one occasion, when her long black hair and perfect pale skin would attract attention from the opposite gender. But Scarlett was too charismatic and much too beautiful to keep her promise for long.

           Now look where it's got us.

           I walked down the narrow street, keeping the baby pressed against me for warmth. I nearly gave myself whiplash from jerking my head around every time I caught a glimpse of my reflection in the surrounding buildings, thinking it was Scarlett, coming to take her baby back.

She and I had always shared a resemblance, with our black, black hair, pale skin, and slight figures. The only major difference was our wings, hers tinted pink instead of silver like mine. The baby would look like us too, I supposed. She already favored her mother's appearance with her pert little nose and black head of hair.

           The thought made me angry. If our world didn't work the way it did, she could grow up without a care, safe in the care of her parents and me. I bet she would call me auntie.

  I reached the castle, holding back tears.  It was much like the other buildings, excepting it's massive size. It had to be at least ten times as big as the surrounding houses. I hurried and walked up close enough for the door to sense me and set off the doorbell.

           I didn't want to leave the baby. She peered up at me with her big green eyes, so much like her mother's and I had to fight the urge to pick her up and carry her back to safety

           I stood up to leave, but the baby began to cry, I leaned back down and kissed her forehead. "Sorry baby. I'm so sorry Jade. " I almost broke down when I said her name; the only thing her mother was allowed to give her before they gave her to me to take away. I brushed the tears from my eyes "You'll understand eventually, good luck darling girl."

So.... You've read the prologue! Congrats! You are now my friend! *gives you the forehead poke of friendship* Do you love it? Hate it? The next chappie is almost nothing like this by the way. Does that make you sad :( or happy :) EIther way, you should tell me! Just type whatever feels you have into one of those marvelous little boxes down there and hit 'post comment'  I'll love you forever if you do! and if you are lovin' it push that little star button in the top right of your screen to vote. :D  Kay, that's all, continue with your reading experience.