Chapter Seventeen: The Arrival

Sam and Ben have gone outside to check on the generator and take a quick look around the cabin while Kelsey and I are sitting in the living room.

"It's so quiet in here. I need some music." She says.

Lookingover at a table I see a small clock radio. Using my thoughts I turn it on and hear classical music. Turning back to Kelsey she gives me a 'Are you kidding me' look. I laugh and while looking at her the dial turns until I hit a classic rock station.

"How did you do that without looking at it? And come to think of it, how did you unlock the door? You told me Kyle can't even do that."

I shrug my shoulders, "I really don't know. It seems like I'm getting stronger and able to do more each day." Kelsey just stares at me so I try to change the subject.

"How long has your uncle had this cabin?"

"He's had it for as long as I can remember. Tracey, Scott and I used to spend every summer up here growing up."

"Oh my God. It's her Uncle Frank's cabin..."

As everything in the room begins to shake I catch myself before it gets out of control and stop it.

"Are you alright?"

"Yeah, I'm fine. I'm just tired I guess."

I have to know more... "How close were you guys?"

"As I said we basically grew up together. About a year before we stopped coming up here they disappeared," she looks down.

"I wish I knew what really happened to them. Back then Tracey and I were very close. Being up here brings back a lot of good memories. I can't believe they ran away," she turns to me. "I think something bad happened to them."

"I still can't believe it. She deserves to know the truth. What am I supposed to do?" I think...

The door opens and Ben and Sam come back inside.

"I've just filled up the generator and while we were out we looked around. I could see a light down the hill behind the cabin," Ben says.

"That's probably the maintenance building to the national park. This property's next to it." Kelsey replies.

A couple hours later...

We're sitting in the living room listening to music waiting on Maxwell or Kyle to call. The tension is starting to get to me.

"Do you want to go for a walk?" I ask Ben.

"Yeah, sounds good."

"We'll be back in a few guys..."

There's a full moon so we can see as long as we stay on the driveway. When we get far enough away from the cabin I stop.

"Ben I need to talk."

He looks concerned, "What is it?"

"When you were growing up, did you know Tracey and Scott?"

"Yeah, I saw them maybe twice a year. Why, what's going on?"

I hesitate for a moment, but I've got to talk to someone... "Ben, I know what happened to them." He looks stunned.

"You do? Why haven't you told Kelsey."

"It's complicated."

He stares at me for a few seconds, "Their dead... aren't they?" I slowly nod.