Chapter 3

CHAPTER 3

Back at the table Ryan switched with me so I sat between Lucas and Alec. My nerves were shot to hell but at least I wasn’t scared of Alec trying to eat me. From this spot I was sitting across from Wyatt and he also didn’t scare me. Vampires I believed I could take in a fight never scared me. It was a little easier to breathe knowing I wasn’t the weakest at the table either.

Wyatt was around seventy nine in his vampire years and turned sometime in his forties. He had hard set brown eyes like he didn’t miss a thing. I wondered if he ever spent time in law enforcement. I wasn’t curious enough to open my mouth and bring any attention back to me. What Faith didn’t have in vampire years she had in presence. Looking at her, I fully believed she liked to rip people into pieces and dance around in the blood.

Alec was the youngest vampire at the table and if I didn’t have my sixth sense, I would’ve never been able to tell. He sat there very poised and confidant. He wasn’t letting anyone affect him or knock him off balance. I wished I had strength like that instead of letting Anthony put me on edge. I could see him out the corner of my eye and the vampire didn’t miss a beat, grinning at me every time our eyes connected.

A waitress stopped at our table and asked if we wanted anything to drink, or in my case eat. I ordered the strongest margarita they had. Vampires didn’t eat but they did drink and everyone got some form of liquor.

I looked around the ballroom to check out the other guests. I knew the werewolf table because after all the time I spent with Jake I knew the energy they carried. The shifters energy had almost the same pulsating feel and I could pick them out too. At the witches and wizards table they were human at their core and that was strangely comforting.

Three months ago I was told I wasn’t human like I always thought; rather I was some weird angel and demon hybrid. I didn’t know anything about those races and at my core I still felt like the human I always believed to be. That’s how I wanted it to stay.

An hour into the meeting a woman appearing to be in her fifties with orange hair and pleasant green eyes took to the podium. “Hello everyone.” She paused with a smile until she had their attention. “Welcome to the Eleventh Annual Concord Assembly.” She made that sound festive. “For those who don’t know or need a reminder, tonight is our catch up night to meet any new faces and catch up with old ones. Tomorrow night we’ll begin the business proceedings that need to be addressed.” My, she was chipper and stern at the same time and more than anything, I had no idea who this woman telling all these powerful beings what to do was. She wasn’t human, after that I was clueless.

The soft music in the background changed. Faith reached across the table with her hand in offering. “Lucas, dance with me. Your pet will be all right alone for a few minutes.”

She cut me a dirty look and I gave her one right back. “I don’t need babysitting and if you want to keep pushing, we can go handle this outside.” Fool me once; that was my motto. I wouldn’t be caught scared in front of this crowd ever again. I had several weapons on me and I knew how to use them.

Her eyes snapped to the solid black vampire shade. “I will rip you apart and wear your eyes for earrings.”

I leaned into the table. “Don’t be so sure. I’ve killed far better of your kind.”

“Ooh.” Anthony grinned. “I’d stop pushing if I were you, Faith.” Everything he said seemed to pour out like honey, smooth and gooey.

Faith was seething and her boss’ words had no impact. “I’m not scared of some human two bit trash.”

I was trying to avoid Anthony’s abnormal blue eyes but I couldn’t, he was demanding that I look at him with some silent power I felt across my skin that no one seemed to be bothered by. “She’s a lot more than that.” The powerful vampire said.

All the color drained from my face and I forgot how I promised myself not to be scared again. I got up from my seat and ran away toward the bathrooms. I could take Faith, I wasn’t worried or scared of her. Anthony was another matter. I didn’t know how to handle him, I never met anyone like him before, hell no one like him existed. I used to think I was so smart because I could handle myself around Lucas and if I could be in control around him everyone else would be a piece of cake. I just never thought in all my twenty eight years I’d be meeting the first vampire ever turned.

I ran into the bathroom and braced my hands on the counter.

I wasn’t alone for long. Lucas followed me. “Zoe.”

“He knows.” I spun around to face him. “Anthony knows what I am.”

“It doesn’t matter if he does or doesn’t, but I doubt he does because you can’t tell by just looking at you. He just knows you’re not human. Either way, you belong to me.”

“But he outranks you and he can decide right now to throw me on the grill and have me with ketchup.”

A black eyebrow went up as Lucas gave that some thought. “That wouldn’t be a good look for you.”

I threw a hand towel at him. “This isn’t something to joke about.”

He sighed and stepped closer to grip my shoulders. “Listen to me. Anthony does outrank me by nearly a thousand years but when it comes to certain bonds, such as the one between you and me, he has no say. He can’t hurt you and more than that, he doesn’t want to. You’re an asset to me and therefore important to him as well. Are you hearing me?”

“Yes, so he’s a scary dude but he doesn’t want to kill me and dance in my blood.” Lucas grinned again; I always managed to amuse him with my twisted humor. “What about Faith? She’s in a dancing mood. Ryan said not to worry about her but I don’t know and if she comes at me I will defend myself.”

“Don’t worry about it, I’ll handle her.”

“Yeah, that’s what I think she wants. What’s the story between the two of you?”

He opened his mouth to say one thing only to shut it and ask, “Are you jealous?”

“Yes, painfully.” I rolled my eyes. “I like to know what I’m in the middle of.”

His eyes moved slowly down my face and over the V neck of my dress, lingering on the swells of exposed breasts. “There’s nothing to tell.” His hand moved up my shoulder and through my hair. He stepped closer again and I felt the wall at my back. “I haven’t told you how beautiful you look tonight.” His other hand moved down my waist and to my hip.

“I’m strapped with a lot of weapons.” I felt his thousand year old power engulfing me like a warm blanket after a frightening nightmare. I felt it seeping into my skin and gripping every nerve ending in its path and making me feel everything I’d been trying to deny. Lucas had almost kissed me once before and I managed to fight it and leave. I couldn’t fight now and I wasn’t sure I wanted to.

“Yeah?” his lips brushed ever so softly over my own as his hand moved beneath the slit of the dress. His fingers skimmed the gun holster on my thigh.

“Lucas….” I groaned and rested my head back on the wall. I was feeling a hundred things at once and none of them were telling me to push him away and hightail it out of there like I should be doing.

“Not everything has to be a fight.” His hand moved higher on my leg until he was cupping my butt.

I opened my eyes to a river of tears. “You haven’t lived a day in my life.”

“You don’t have to fight me. I’m not going to hurt you.” He closed the itty bitty space that was left between us and kissed me with all the building emotions in the air behind it.