Chapter 7 - The Duke's Gala Part 2

The two exited the humble neighborhood and began strolling down the road near the park that framed the other meager surrounding buildings. It was a rough and poor area, but Sibyl felt confident with her brother's presence and safe walking under his protective gaze.

James pulled her aside. "Listen, I need to talk to you. When I am gone at sea there will be no one here to protect you. Who is this friend of yours you have been spending so much time with and staying out so late? It isn't right. Why haven't you told me about him? He is no good and will only hurt you. I don't even know his name!"

Sibyl grew angry and shouted. "Jim, stop! You must not speak anything against my Prince Charming. I love him!"

"How can you love him? You don't know anything about him."

"I know he is the most wonderful person in the world. You will meet him someday when you return from Australia. Then you will come to love him just as everyone else does. If only you would delay leaving for a few days and come to the theatre—he will be there and you two can meet. Then I will be Juliet, but for the first time actually in love."

"Beware of him Sibyl, I don't trust him. If he hurts you I swear I will kill him."

"Jim, don't talk that way. Some day you will be in love yourself and then you will know how I feel. Then you will understand. Life has been so terribly difficult for both of us but this is my chance. I have found the one to rescue me from it all and start a new adventure, just like the one you are setting out on."

"I suppose. As long as you truly love him."

"I will love him forever!"

"And he?"

"Forever, too!"

"He had better."

Sibyl merely smiled and put her hand on his arm. She led her brother to a lighted archway where they hailed an omnibus to take them home. Later, they parted in peace—save for the dangerous mistrust James held in his heart for this stranger who had come between the siblings. They said their emotional farewells and James made his way towards the misty docks and his thrilling new life at sea.

That evening, Sibyl met her Prince Charming at a darling little Italian Restaurant that had just opened. To Dorian, she had never seemed more exquisite. She was dressed in a simple but form-fitting blue dress, likely borrowed from the theatre for the occasion, and wearing the necklace he had gifted her. After she had discovered the engraving on the clasp: for my dearest Sibyl Vane, she hardly ever removed the piece of jewelry from her neck.

As the couple was seated at the candlelit table, they could hardly keep their hands from coming together under the table cloth. Dinner began with a brief caress here, and a lingering touch there. They started the meal with a very expensive-looking bottle of wine that Dorian selected. He expertly swirled the dark red wine in the sample glass that the waiter poured. As he raised the glass to his lips, an impish look appeared in his eyes. He leaned in for a kiss, and then secretively let some of the sweet liquid fall into Sibyl's ready mouth. "Do you find the wine satisfactory?"

She swallowed delicately and giggled. "Any wine delivered with such a kiss is more than satisfactory."

When the appetizers of buttered-kissed oysters with caviar arrived, Sibyl set to consuming hers in a seductive manner. She had Dorian's full attention, so she slipped off her shoe under the table and delicately ran her foot along the inside of his thigh. Dorian's oyster shot out of his hand and onto the floor. Sibyl laughed freely and spoke in a whispered voice. "Careful, they can get quite wet and slippery." Dorian was at a loss for words. Fortunately, the main course was arriving.