Chapter Twenty-Seven

Ezekiel struggled to find words to say. His mouth worked up and down several times but no sound escaped. He simply stared at Craig, feeling his heart break all over again.

The man looked terrible. He looked tired, beat down and completely broken. Craig no longer resembled the man Ezekiel had fallen in love with. His boyish smile and that mischievous spark in his green eyes had gone out.

The last month had definitely taken its toll on the man and Ezekiel's heart ached. He should have been there. He should have been at Craig's side offering what help and support he could have.

Damn, he was an ass.

But he was here now and all he wanted was to get out of this damn chair and take Craig into his arms and assure him that he'd never turn his back on him again.

The cabin fell completely silent. Even Little Willie, who had been babbling on and on as he struggled to get down from his mother's arms, fell silent and still.

"Why are you here?" Craig demanded, his voice quiet and strained.

Ezekiel growled as he struggled to turn the chair enough to face Craig. "You," he replied, meeting and holding Craig's gaze.

Gill let out a sigh and stepped to the chair. He began to untie the ropes holding Ezekiel but Jeb stopped him. "What are you doing?"

"Letting the man go."

"But you're the one who knocked him out and told me was dangerous to begin with," Jeb reminded him.

Gill shook his head. "I'm changing my mind. And if I'm wrong then I'll just kill him later."

Gill bent down and undid the ropes around Ezekiel's wrist. "Don't make me regret this," he grumbled. "I understand a child getting lost in something he doesn't understand and I understand a man wanting to change, but if you hurt my family I'll see that you pay for it. Understood?"

Ezekiel stood slowly, allowing the blood to return to his legs as his aching head swam a bit. "Understood," he agreed.

He was aware of more of Pete's goading going on behind him and he was aware of Jeb pulling Gill aside as the two men whispered between each other.

But Ezekiel paid it all no mind. Instead he strode three quick steps across the floor and stood before Craig. He longed to reach out and touch the man but Craig still hadn't said a word—and the man didn't look too happy to see him.

Suddenly Craig turned and walked away. Ezekiel rushed to follow him but was stopped when a rather small wiry man with ebony black skin and an angry glare shoved the barrel of sawed off shot gun into his chest.

Ezekiel held his hands up and raised his brow. "Hello Wyatt."

The man's eyes narrowed further and his lips moved without sound. Unfortunately, Ezekiel had no skill in reading them.

Zachariah cleared his throat after Wyatt's lips stopped moving. "He said if you hurt his best friend again, he'd kill you. He said Craig's been through enough and he doesn't need some jackass making things worse." Zachariah shrugged. "Personally, I think Craig is a bit of an immature babe who makes bad choices and then bitches about them."

Wyatt's elbow made contact with Zachariah's gut causing the man to chuckle as he rubbed at the abused spot.

Ezekiel grunted. "More people wanting to kill me just for being here..... this sure ain't a real welcoming family, is it?"