The Little Boy Who Cries Rhinos

{ six }

I am awaken by a subtle shake. I open my eyes and, immediately, they widen in the sight of Dolph sitting by the corner of my bed. He is busy treating my wounds even when I was asleep. That's where the pain is coming from. I thought it's just a dream.

"Good morning, buddy." He innocently smile at me.

Does he think treating my wounds will help me forgive him? Even if the wounds on my fist heal, my heart is scarred forever.

I look at him, "Why do you have to try so hard, Dolph?" I ask.

He continues to treat my wounds. Gently applying an alcohol-filled swab in every cut. I twitch as it makes contact with my hand and fist.

"I have to, Raemus." He smiles, "It is not because I need to catch up to everything we never had or because I have to look like a good father. It is simply because we need to make new memories that will put those we never had to oblivion. I have to do this because you're my son, Raemus." Dolph sounds weak.

I utter nothing and just give him a blank stare

He shows his small grin again, "Is this what you always do when you're angry?" Dolph further investigates.

I pull my hand away a little as I feel a strong twitch. "No." I declare.

He grabs my hand again. "I am sorry. Does that hurt too much? Let me be more gentle." He continues to treat my wound.

I sigh arrogantly. "Says the one who abandoned his family." I close my eyes, planning to go back to sleep again.

"How would I treat that wound, Raemus? Tell me." Dolph asks, "What can I do for you to let me in again?"

I open my eyes. Blankly staring at Dolph once again.

"I know it's too late for me to be the best father you ever have but atleast...can I be the father who who will be proud of his son?" He asks. He grabs a dry cloth and dips it in lukewarm water in the basin he have brought. "For me, seeing you grow up right and do all things you want is the best part of my fatherhood. And I hope, you will let me see them."

Dolph brings the now dampen cloth close to my hand and press it gently.

His words; they feel like branches of lightning striking down on me. If he is really not sincere of coming back to our lives, he will not be doing this. He will be probably gone by now and back to his home. But no; he is here in front of me, treating my wounds and doing his best to reconnect. Maybe he have already paid the price.

"Ah!" I cry a little as he presses the cloth again on my wounds. This shatters the thoughts in my head.

"I'm sorry, son." He looks at me again. The morning light glistens on his eyes as tears start to form again. I ignore him though something's feeling different inside.

"I better get up now or else I'll be late." I speak out. then anchor myself up so I can stand.

Dolph crouches down, looks like he's getting something. "Here, son. I brought your breakfast." He brings out a tray with a complete set of breakfast. Bread, bacon and eggs and a glass of orange juice, "I heard you skipped your breakfast yesterday. I made these by myself...sp enjoy your meal, son." He hands the tray to me and smile.

Dolph stands and heads toward the door.

"You can stay...here" I mumble yet keeping my eyes straight.

He turns his head to me.

"...Dad." I look at him just in time for him to flash his smile to me.