They always say that nothing ever changes

I hate it. 

I hate that my mom got addicted. I hated the foster care system. I hate upstate New York. Well to be exact I hate the quiet. It leaves me in my head a lot. Upstate is somewhere I would go for a day to get some good pictures but it's never somewhere I would want to live. It was never somewhere I thought i'd be stuck in. 

Stuck. Is the definition for my situation at least for a while. I could call my social worker and ask to be relocated but rules are: "Foster children are allowed to transfer foster homes after three weeks of placement unless over-ruled by certified judge." 

I just got here so I can't leave. 

There was a soft knock at the door.  "Phillip are you up?" Helen's voice sounded from the other side of the door. 

Helen was the sheriff of the town, although I did not see the point since nothing ever happens here. 

"Yea, just laying down." 

"I'll drive you to school today." 

Right, school. Sighing I get off the bed and without showering I progress down the stairs to join everyone for breakfast. 

"Not showering?" Gabe asked. 

"Earlier." I respond staring at my breakfast. I never really ate breakfast back home. Everything was fast paced. I wake up late,shower, dash down the stairs kiss my mom good bye and bike to school. In the city everyone is in a rush. Here it seems like everyone has the time. 

The car ride to school gave me the chills. Everything was so placid, still, in the same place it was before. Lost in thought I barley notice driving up to the front of the school.

"Ready to Carpe Diem?" Helen ask's optimistically. "Seize the day."

"I know I took Latin." I unlock the door and head towards the front doors. 

They all stare at me and whisper. I hear a few girls giggle behind me as I open the doors. As I walk threw I bump into someone exiting. He had blonde shaggy hair and blue eyes. He looked at me with a  neutral facial expression. 

"Lucas." A brown skinned girl called out.

The boy made an about face and proceeded towards the brown skinned girl. Sighing I enter the school. I set my bag down in a corner next to some lockers and begin to rummage through looking for my schedule. 

"Shit" I whisper under my breath

"Need any help?" Someone asked. 

Looking up he reached out his hand inviting me to shake it. Dropping my stuff I shook his hand. 

"Tommy" He smiled

"Phillip"  I returned

"I'm guessing you will need help with picking up your things that you ever so stupidly dropped on the floor and finding what I guess is either your locker combination or schedule." He says while bending down to pick up my things. 

Handing me my things he says  "If you don't know your locker combination it won't matter you won't need it. It's your schedule you probably will need that so you should head down the hall and take a left until you see a hanging sign that says Main Office."

Taking my things and thanking him I walk swiftly down the hallways, enter the main office and request for my schedule which the lady at the front desk sucks her teeth and tells me that I wasn't starting of my first day on the right foot. After receiving my schedule I look it over.

                                            Monday: Period 1

                                            Multi-media Room 3325