Truly, Madly, Deadly, Part 10

Author’s note: Thanks for reading! Please vote, comment and like! Truly, Madly, Deadly is the first of my YA thrillers published with Sourcebooks – coming soon in January is See Jane Run. All of my books are available in print and digital from any major retailer.

If you love this book PLEASE run over and vote for it for the Teen Choice Book of the Year! Vote here: http://www.teenreads.com/2014-teen-choice-book-of-the-year-nominees

Copyright © 2013 by Hannah Jayne

She sifted through smiling profile pictures on the student page until she found the one that she wanted.

“Hello?” He answered on the first ring, and Sawyer recognized Logan’s voice immediately and hoped that he didn’t recognize hers.

She cleared her throat. “Um, hello. Can I—may I speak to Stephen, please?”

Logan paused for a beat, and Sawyer’s heart clanged like a fire bell.

“Stephen?”

“Yes. Please.”

“May I ask who’s calling?”

Sawyer went back to pacing. “Um…”

“Sawyer? Is that you?”

She sucked in a shaky breath. “Yeah, hi, Logan.”

“I didn’t know you and Stephen were friends.” Logan’s voice had changed. It was slow, even.

“Yeah, actually. I mean, kind of.”

There was an expectant pause, and Sawyer weighed whether or not she should tell Logan that she had met his brother at the police station.

But it was just Logan.

Who had the locker underneath hers and was watching her run the day of the shredding.

Had Stephen told Logan that Sawyer was at the police station?

“He stopped me for speeding,” Sawyer blurted, “and I just have a quick question.” She forced a light, cheery tone. “Is he available?”

“Yeah, I guess so.”

Logan put the phone down, and Sawyer was able to breathe again. All of her nerve endings were tingling and her mouth went dry; she didn’t wait for Stephen to get on the phone before ending the call. She tossed her phone and sat at her desk, pulled out a blank sheet of paper and a pen. She scrawled the words: note 1—Kevin, at the top, the name Logan, with a question mark just under it. After that she listed Mr. Hanson’s note, the two bunches of flowers, the message scrawled on her locker.