The Frigid Cold

My mind was a machine that never seemed to shut down for rest. It was peculiar.

            The frosty winter air rushed at me ruthlessly as I stepped out of my car, successfully hindering my thoughts for a second — only a second, as I tugged my trenchcoat tighter around me to secure myself from the cold. You wouldn't be able to tell, but I was one minute away from hypothermia if I didn't reach the refuge of my building. On the outside, I looked composed, unbothered, but really I was freezing half near death. Discipline was something that was heavily stressed in my family — never let someone know how you really feel inside, because once they do, they will seek out weaknesses. Words from my father before he died, leaving me his company. It was an unusual thing to teach your daughter, how not to feel, or rather, how to hide how you feel.

            In finality, I suppose it was what brought me up to this point. After finishing law school, I inherited a multi-billion dollar company and single-handedly made myself one of the most powerful and influential women in New Jersey. And this power had equal parts perks and stress.

            I trotted up the steps leading to my building and let out a subtle sigh as I felt the warmth surround me. The familiar clicking of my heels indicated to everyone that I was now entering the building and I felt their eyes trail over me. That was another thing I had gotten used to over the years; attention. I heard the nearly simultaneous 'good morning' greetings as I sauntered down the hall and ignored them all. They knew better than expecting me to answer. Manners was the last thing father had taught me I suppose, but it should be an inherent trait for all humans, all except me for some reason. I just never found it appropriate to answer. I've never found it necessary, and in some ways, I think they don't actually expect an answer, they just expect their paychecks at the end of each month, so essentially, they don't care. At least, that's how my head spun things.

            I made my way to the elevators and entered the lift, pressing the button for the top floor. As I stepped off, my assistant Cleo neared me, wielding the usual latte in hand. "Good morning Miss Henson, here's your coffee," I took the cup from her and took a delicate sip from it, silently revelling in the heat that was defrosting my blood and other frozen innards. "Mr Izzo called again—"

            I inwardly groaned, "What did that muskrat want now?" I started towards my office and heard the aforementioned muskrat's voice. 

            "Now is that any way to refer to your future partner of IzzoCo?" The slender man adjusted his square-framed glasses and perched his arse on the edge of my desk. I rolled my eyes as I made my way around my desk and sat in my chair, studying the man before me. Ronnen Izzo, many dub him as the "smartest guy in the room". He's a master manipulator and the chairman, president and CEO of the Public Services Enterprise Group. He was one of the most powerful men in Jersey and he knew how to get what he wanted, and it surely bothered him that I wouldn't just hand over Henson Incorporated to him.

            I folded my hand and regarded him one more time. "Must get tiresome to go to all this trouble for something you'll never have," I voiced, watching as his grin only grew wider.

            "That's tough talk for a child to this game," the greying man stood up and turned to me with a brash demeanour that was anything but intimidating given his slim build. His cream coloured suit looked a size too large on his body and his tie looked as if his ten-year-old daughter bought it for him for his birthday. I resisted the urge to comment on his attire and allowed him to declare his thoughts. "Need I remind you that your father and I had an agreement prior to his death? We had a deal and a settlement was made for us to join forces in this business."

            "And need I remind you that my father is dead. Has been for nearly five years now, and I am the CEO of this company, which makes whatever agreement you made with my father, null and very void." I sat back in my leather chair and watched as the man before me only smiled. As if there was something that satisfied him about this conversation that we've had a thousand times before.