Chapter 1 Draft

This is a draft, and not the full thing! Remember, this is only temporary to see if you like where things are going. Is chapter one to jumbled, all over the place, or is it fine? Should it be re-edited or thrown out and started anew?

He could feel my blood pumping hotter as the cold Georgia wind threw itself against his skin, though he could barely feel it. It was funny, though it was 37 degrees outside, he was dressed in a t-shirt and jeans as if it were just another summer day. His eyes cast about the church grounds he was currently on, eager to find something to watch other than the blades of grass being disturbed by the winds. There was nothing. He supposed it would have been more interesting to be inside the church with the pastors sermon pounding on me to beg for forgiveness and repent my names, but with a name such as Cain he was rarely welcome unless he had his grandmother with him. So outside he sat, waiting for his brother and sister to come out.

With a small sigh finding its way from his lips he stood, and moved towards the stone steps that lead out to the street, intent on finding something to do for the last remaining hour of church. He glided down the steps and turned right, his footsteps light and virtually unheard as he walked, though to his ears everyone else's sounded like thunder. He was in Stone Mountain, and it wasn't long before he came across a bakery, and the smells inside made his mouth water akin to that of a dogs. He pushed open the door, the sound of the bells filling his ears before they stopped and he was able to continue on, taking a few steps to the counter.

“Hello, how may I help you?” Questioned a young female baker in front of me. His golden eyes ran over her once, noticing her dyed jet black hair which was akin to his real hair, her pale skin, blue eyes and the bit of flour that dusted her chin. “Could I have a... Batch of cookies, 2 dozen doughnuts, and maybe a few brownies, some with nuts and some without?” “All for you? I mean no offense but your a skinny little thing.”

He raised an eyebrow and took a moment to gaze into her glass case which threw back at me my reflection. Soft golden eyes, black hair that would disappear at night accompanied by bronze skin that wouldn't look unusual on someone of Native American heritage. It was all settled on a wiry but muscled body, that he supposed could be mistaken for skinny. As he glanced back at the girl he realized she wasn't so attractive to me after that insult, so all he did was give her a wry smile and a nod. “Well then, your total is $51.22.” He slipped my hand into his pocket and pulled out the wallet he had pick pocketed not long ago . He pulled out almost the exact amount of money and pocketed the rest before tossing the wallet into the trash having no more use for it. “How long will the wait be?” He inquired as he handed her the money and waited for the receipt. “About 40 minutes.” She responded with a look that was still puzzled.

“Guess that’s another hour I’ll spend getting into trouble.” “Well I get off for break in-“ “No thanks.” He said quickly, rudely cutting her off. He didn’t want to spend anymore time with her than he had to. He turned my back to her and exited the store, his eyes casting first to the skies then to the streets. It was still cold, though it seemed as if it would rain soon and one thing he didn’t want to do was return to the store. Well, it was the weekend, he could bear being sick from running through the rain if he didn’t have to go back inside. Besides, he loved to run, it helped him forget and to remember.

He slipped down into a runners stance, and from the crowd behind him he knew the view was one awkward to look at but it was the only way he knew. His legs braced as he counted down in his head. 3…2…1! And he was off, his legs becoming a blur as his body accelerated forwards into the crowds of the street. Though he was six feet tall and easily took up more space than was due, he easily avoided touching people as he passed by them.

Crowds like these was how he pickpocketed people so easily, and they rarely knew he’d done it until later in the day. He was quick, fast and slippery, and the one time he’d been caught, it wasn’t so bad. In fact the person he’d been caught by was his current employer, Apex.

Apex was a giant of a man, with enough money to buy more than a few islands. He had plenty of women, a mansion  filled with people that he liked to call his pack. They all lived together with some freaky family type thing, though none of them were related. If he wasn’t off on Sundays he would be there now, running errands, training, helping Apex in anyway he needed. His employer was more like an older brother than anything else to Cain.. Maybe that was where he could go, just to kick back for a bit.

At the thought of heading to Apex’s home, his gears kicked into overdrive, and he became virtually unseen by anyone passing by. He’d discovered this little talent long ago though he thought nothing of it. He could run fast, sometimes faster than cars to be unseen by the human eye, he considered himself gifted even though it was more of a natural talent. So what if he was fast, he wasn’t the Flash or anything, just fast enough to outrace anyone around him on foot.

He pushed himself to top speed, and in no time was out of the city headed to a woody area of Georgia, one rarely visited by anyone that wasn’t in Apex’s pack. In fact, the place wasn’t even marked on Georgia maps, besides the ones from 15 years prior. Cain’s feet hit the grounds with soft thuds, alerting anyone near by that he was coming and if he wasn’t being silent about it, he was either very confident, or he didn’t pose a threat.

It wasn’t but a moment before he heard steps racing towards him, accompanied by loud barks and growls. Now here was a real pack, he could hear them only seconds before he saw them, and they were glories. The head of the pack was Rex, a black mass of fur and white fangs, and usually was eager to sink his teeth into anything living, and right now that was Cain. He snarled and advanced before leaping at Cain, his body hitting Cain’s with a thud before he lowered his snout down to his face and stuck his tongue out for a small lick.

He gave a small yip and watched as the boy smiled, lifting his hand to softly rub behind the dogs ears. ”S’up rex.” Cain said happy before pushing the large dog off of him and standing up to dust himself off. “Apex here?” He questioned, raising an eyebrow in query. In answer Rex turned, gave a sharp bark to his pack before launching themselves forward, heading toward the mansion itself.