You'll Always Be Mine - Chapter Five

Start from the beginning

Becca smiled at me and folded it back up, sticking it in her pocket. “We should get going now, Sum.”

“Wait, you found that where?” Becca pointed to the bottom drawer of a small side table in front of us. “Anything else in there?” I asked, looking at the drawer.

“I don’t know. This was on the top. Can we just get out of here please?”

“One minute, I just wanna see…” I trailed off, kneeling down.

I pulled open another drawer just as we heard a light banging noise coming from the kitchen. We gasped at the same time and looked at each other in horror. Grabbing Becca’s hand, I pulled her towards the cupboard under the stairs. Pulling the door open gently, we slipped inside and closed the door, leaving the tiniest gap so we could see who it was.

My heart was beating out of my chest as I gripped Becca’s hands. Her body was shaking just like mine. Could it be Clover? He couldn’t have got back that quickly, right?

I felt physically sick. How the hell were we going to do this if we just hid away, terrified of seeing him again?

Footsteps echoed through the hall way, the light from a torch getting brighter as it approached us. I held my breath, waiting for whoever it was, praying it wasn’t him. Becca’s nails dug into the back of my hand as the footsteps stopped outside the door.

Oh god, please don’t be him.

I heard another step, and he was in view. It wasn’t him, it was a police officer. Breathing a sigh of relief, I loosened my grip of Becca’s hand.

“What do we do?” Becca whispered as we heard him walking up the stairs.

“They probably have to check the place out occasionally, we’ll just wait until he’s gone then get the hell out…after we finish in that drawer.

“What?” she yelled in a whisper. “Are you serious, Summer?”

“Shh. We’re so close and there’s probably more in there.” Becca’s mouth fell open in disbelief. “We only have a couple days; we need everything we can get.”

“But it’s crazy, we almost got caught!”

“You want to do this without all the information we can get? Without the best plan we can think of?” I asked her.

She sighed quietly. “No.”

“Okay so we’ll just take a quick look and then get out.” Becca nodded, sighing again.

We stayed in the darkness of the small cupboard until we saw the officer pass us again and the back door closing.

I stood up as far as I could in the small cupboard and carefully pushed the door open, listening out for any sign of him coming back. “He’s gone. Let’s be quick,” I told Becca, while stepping out into the hallway. I didn’t waste any time in opening the drawer again, sifting through the paperwork to find something.

Groaning in frustration, I threw the papers back in the drawer. “Shh,”Becca hissed from behind me. “We’re leaving now!” she stated, grabbing my arm and dragging me to my feet. I was pushed towards the back door and although I wanted to find more I knew it really was time to leave.

Becca looked out of the door first and after a few seconds she slipped out, pulling on my hand to get me to follow. We crept along the wall, stopping when we got to the same hole in the bush that we came through earlier. After checking out the area once more, we ran for the bush and through the gap as quickly as we could.

We both breathed a sigh of relief as we made it back to the car safely. Becca started the engine and pulled off. “Thank god that’s over,” she said, gripping the steering wheel so hard that her knuckles had turned white.