Chapter 7- Elsie

Kyla’s P.O.V.

*************************************************************************

As I entered my room, the first thing I saw was a package with a red bow placed on my bed. I sniffed the air.

Alan.

Why had he come to my room and what was in the package he kept on my bed?

 Curiously, I ripped open the package and a book named ‘Pride and Prejudice’ fell out of it. I stared at it for a long time, trying to understand why Alan had placed this here.

Had he kept it here for safekeeping? Had I mistakenly opened it when it was meant for someone else?

Suddenly I remembered today’s date- November the 20th. My birthday.

My heart warmed when I realized what the book meant.

Alan was the only person in the pack who actually bothered to talk to me. Most of them did not want to associate themselves with the ‘weakest’ member of the pack. Maybe it was because Alan had joined the pack only a few months. He didn’t understand the invisible hierarchy of the pack.

Alan had told me that I remind him of his little sister. He lived with his mother and sister in a pack before he came here. Apparently, he made some kind of unforgivable mistake and was kicked out of the pack by his Alpha. Instead of living the life of a rogue, he decided to join our pack.

I wanted to tell him what a horrible mistake he had made. But it was of no use now, even if I did. There were only two options now: learn to survive IN the pack or die either in the hands of the enemy or in the hands of Alpha Lucius while trying to escape. I wanted him to continue in his blissful delusion about the details of our pack.

He had heard the rumor that our pack was the most powerful and vicious of all the others and decided to join it. Powerful, I can understand. But, Alan must have seriously misunderstood the depth of the word vicious.

I went out to look for him. As I approached him, a huge smile crept up his face. He still hadn’t mastered the emotionless look.

“So, you found it? Did you like it?”

“Yeah. Thanks a lot.”

“Still that face. Come on. You can give me a small smile on your birthday.”

“If you stay long enough in this pack it somehow grows on you”, I told him pointedly.

“I’m never letting that happen to me. I’m using that emotionless face only in battle. In my daily life, I’ll maintain my normal face, Thank you”, he told me with a smug smile on his face.

Just give it some time.

When you have killed a lot of innocent people, it will get to your soul and you will become like the rest of us- emotionless.

I wiped those thoughts away from my head. I didn’t want him to lose his smile just yet.

I asked him curiously, “What made you buy this book?”

“I know you like books a lot. When everyone in the pack searches for jewelry and money in the other packs, I’ve seen you scavenger around for books. And since I don’t know a lot about books, I googled for a famous book. I read that that Pride and something book was very good.”

I nodded my head. It wouldn’t matter if the book was good or not, I would still read it. The thought that Alan gave this to me, as a present, itself would make me read it. Besides, I read all the books that I could lay my hands on, anyway.