Revival

After Searinox warned me about a group of strangers getting closer to us, things began to happen in bursts. I felt his body tense beside me, and I felt claws as if they were my own push into the soft ground, getting ready to jump into action. Voices seemed to get closer and closer... and farther away... and then everything was quiet. My veil of darkness was removed, and blinding rays of sunlight streamed into my eyes. I wanted to look away, but I could gather enough strength to close my eyes. I heard Searinox's far off voice telling me... something. His deep hum seemed to glow in my chest, as if his very essence was the blood pumping through my veins. My numb body did not move, but my heart seemed to twinge at this comforting feeling. The sunlight twisted, and the fuzzy trees slowly swayed in my vision, then they were gone. 

My heart beat was loud, it drowned out everything and my pulse throbbed. It throbbed, and pounded, and hammered through my head and body. I tried to open my mouth, and move my arms, but all that existed in front of my was a thick darkness. Were my eyes even open? 'My...eyes?

My eyes cracked open, but my eyelids were heavy. A breath. Pain. That familiar throbbing pain. I felt drops of sweat coat my body and drip down my face. I tried to move as little as possible. Despite my lack of strength, I was able to move my right fingers, and all of my toes. 'A good sign..' I thought sluggishly. I let my eyes close and focused on my breathing. A scent of musty pine trees filled my nose. As my other senses surfaced, I realized I was laying on my back, quite comfortable and warm. Some kind of fur or blanket was placed over me, and the muffled sound of a cracking fire reached my ears. Keeping my tired eyes closed, I reached my good hand across my body. My burnt shirt was gone. As were my tattered pants. My fingers gradually crept across to my injured side, and I felt bandages wrapped all across my torso and chest. My fingers managed to make their way to my right shoulder, and I skimmed them down my arm. That was all wrapped as well. My pain had dulled. 

My consciousness stirred and I forced my eyes open. I blinked them a few times and fixed them on the ceiling above me. 'Where am I, and why am I being cared for, by who?' I turned my neck, wincing in pain. 'Sore...' I scolded myself. But I didn't give up. I took in my surroundings. I was in a small bed, covered in some soft furs, in a small room of an old house. There was a small window next to my bed, high up on the wall. It let in the silky morning rays of sunlight and illuminated the room enough to see. The ceiling and walls were made from wood and thatch. I followed my ears and turned to see a small stone fireplace in the far wall of the room. Before the fireplace was a door, and it was cracked open just a bit. I waited for a moment and moved my body again. The pain was much better. 'I don't know what kind of situation I'm in. I need to be ready for anything.' Just as I was about to attempt to push myself up, I felt a strong presence enter my conscience, and my very soul. I recognized it at once and tears fell from my eyes. "Searinox!" My voice came out as a barely audible squeak, yet I disregard my throat's dryness and continued to speak aloud, too relieved to care. "Where are you? Where am I? Why am-" I had to stop and cough. It racked through my body and sent waves of pain down my side. "Arrgh!" I groaned. 

'Maddeleine!' Searinox called my name. The worry and care in his word pulled at my heart once again, and I could feel his soul in my own. 'You need to calm down. Everything is alright. I'm heading for you now, don't get up, I'll explain everything.' His words reassured me and I let my tears fall. 'I thought I was.. I thought we both were going to die.' I sent my weak thought back to Searinox. I let my relief flow between our connection and he in turn sent feelings of strength and love. He was letting me know he would never allow that to happen.

Irregular and thunderous footsteps began to approach, and I would not have recognized them as Searinox's footsteps had it not been for our link. He slowed as he reached the hut. The sunlight was replaced with darkness, but this darkness was familiar. I turned my head towards the window and gazed into a great icy blue eye. 'Tell me Searinox. Tell me what has happened.'  My great dragon sighed and sank to his belly. 'I am so relieved you are awake and well. You have been here, sleeping and recovering for the last six days.'

I blinked at this. 'Six days! That's near a week!'

'Indeed.' Searinox's tone became serious. 'You were very weak and unstable for the first few days. Your injuries...' He paused. 'are very serious. Alexandrius says you have broken your left arm in four different places. Your shoulder was shattered, and your rib cage broke and punctured some of your organs. But Alexandrius was able to mend you. You also-' 

'Who is Alexandrius?' I managed to ask as I absorbed the severity of my injuries. "Mmmm.." He hummed. 'He is a well mannered and smart human. He was the one, along with his dragon Linnaidra, who saved us from those bandits in the forest. He lives in this hut and has been treating your wounds, as well as mine.' 

'Your wounds? How were you wounded?' Worry leaked into my words. I felt him hesitate, but he responded with a normal tone. 'As I pulled you from the fire, I seemed to have scratched myself on some broken pillars. It's nothing to worry about, you need to focus on your own wounds right now.' A few questions rose in my mind, but I knew he was right. I needed to get better.

Before I could ponder anymore, Searinox rose to his feet and spoke aloud.

"Alexandrius. Linnaidra. Maddeleine has awoken at last." A human's muffled voice rose in surprise and more footsteps began to make their way towards the hut. My body tensed. Searinox peered into my window. 

'Do not worry, these people mean us no harm, I have been speaking with them for the past six days. He is a good man, he will not hurt you.' Searinox's mental pep-talk allowed my body to relax as a door swung open. Closer footsteps clapped against what sounded like a stone floor and a voice called out. "Hello? Are you awake in there? I'm coming in." The door protested as it was slowly opened, and I turned my head and locked eyes with the man called Alexandrius.