Chapter Two

I sat still and impatient as my maid - Niah - pulled my long, black hair into a tight bun atop my head. I winced as she tugged at my hair, almost certain she would rip some of it from my head in the process of making it look presentable. Today I was to sit by the side of my father as he granted or refused the wishes of the townspeople brave enough to face him.

Niah held up a collection of dresses, trying to ask my opinion on which one I wanted to wear. I grunted at her, resulting in a gasp and yet another lecture explaining that I am "the daughter of a Lord, and will become the Lady of Mikala in a few short weeks. Grunting is extremely unladylike, and a horrifying way to present yourself to your future people!" I zoned out after that. I'd heard the same lecture many times over, my personal record was six times in one day.

I was forced by Niah to change out of the clothes I'd convinced the stable boy to lend me. The final result of my makeover was what would be considered 'glamourous' by everyone. Except me. A too-long dress, with sleeves that flowed freely down to my ankles. They caught on the numerous side tables we walked past, and I tripped down the stairs after one got caught on my shoe. Oh, the shoes. The worst part of the outfit. Heels longer than my hand, it was as though I was walking on a stick the whole way to the meeting room.

I reached to knock, but Niah grabbed my wrist, pulling me away from the door to whisper in my ear.

"Don't say a word while Lord Orona is speaking with a citizen. Not a word." She hissed that last sentence, emphasising each word to make sure I got the message. I nodded in response. "And act like the daughter of a Lord, not some filthy serving boy!"

Be like Lady Louisa, I finished in my head.

We entered, and as I was instructed I remained silent. I managed to sit through at least four or five of the requests made by my future people. Then two people came in, a woman and a man. The woman looked as though she was going to faint at any second, and was clutching the man's shoulder.

"My Lord." He said, bowing as low as he could without letting go of his wife. "My name is Christian Nyx. My wife and I are the bakers here in Mikala." He continued, lifting his head to look at my father.

My father nodded slightly, a signal to rise from a bow. "What is it that you wish to trouble me with today, baker?" He said, in a bored voice. He started tapping his fingers against the dark wood of the chair he sat in, high above the young couple.

"It's our daughter, Leanna, my Lord." Christian replied, obviously trying to keep his voice steady. "She went for a ride yesterday afternoon. She hasn't returned, and we most humbly ask you to spare someone to help us find her."

I looked over at my father, and saw the coldness in his eyes. I knew he wasn't going to help the two bakers. However, I still allowed myself to hope he would.

"I give you my condolences for your daughter. However, I simply do not have a guard or anyone else that can search for her." He said, void of emotion.