chapter 2

(Lily's POV)

It'll be alright is what I kept telling myself as I sat in the hospital room. Megan, Evan, and Steven will all be okay and then we can go back to living like normal. I sighed and buried my face in my hands, knowing this wasn't true. I knew at least one of them had died, they had to. The crash was horrible and the doctors knew it.

The scene of them being rushed off replayed in my head. I could hear the sirens so clearly. So very clearly... I just hope it wasn't too late. That they'd live, that we'd all be okay. That they'd all heal with no scars, so I wouldn't have to remember this.

I got away with a few scratches and it surprised me. Is because life didn't need to claim mine yet? Is it because my friends got badly injured and possibly died? I felt a tear drip down my cheek and brushed it away quickly.

"Lily Baron," I heard somebody call. I stood up and headed to where the sound had come from, wishing I could see instead. I bumped into the desk and stopped.

"Um, that's me," I said quietly.

"The doctors are waiting for you, would you like someone to show you the way?" The lady asked. I nodded. She called someone's name into the room next door. Heard someone emerge with heavy footsteps, like they were tired.

"I'll get her there, don't worry," A male voice said.

"I still wouldn't put it past you to get her lost," The desk lady said with a sigh. "Just hurry with it." The boy mumbled an answer that sounded somewhat like a yes.

I heard him walk around the desk and he grabbed my arm. "Hey, let's get going," He said, leading me across the room. I nodded and just let him pull me, not feeling like I want to walk.

"What's your name?" He asked happily. "I'm Harley. Funny name, huh?"

"Lily," I mumbled.

"Hey, don't mumble, Lily. Why is a pretty girl like you here any way?" he asked while nudging me into what I thought to be an elevator. I sighed.

"My friends got in a car accident. And I'm blind. I can't see you, or anything," I said, explaining why he was leading me.

"You.. Are?" Harley asked, sounding baffled and ignoring my explanation of why I was here. "Well... I've got black straight hair that hangs in my eyes, which are brown. I'm a bit tan, but it's a farmer's tan. Help you picture me?

And how do you get your hair like that if you can't see? Isn't it hard?" Harley continued blabbing.

"My best friend did it for me," I said slowly, running my fingers through my hair. I felt Harley stop and he turned to face me. I could hear his feet shuffling on the floor.

"We're here. I'll be waiting to take you back, if you want," He said. I nodded and said my thanks.

After I heard him sit down, I opened the door, the smell of medicines and antiseptic washing over me. I cringed at the smelled stepped inside, closing the door behind me. I heard footsteps coming towards me and assumed it was the doctor.

"Lily it's been so long," I heard him say. I sighed and nodded, remembering him from when I had surgery on my eyes. "Your friends are... Well, I'm sorry to say but.. Evan and Steven are already gone. Died almost instantly. I'm unsure about Megan at the moment, she has yet to wake up, but her injuries aren't as bad, though they are horrible." I bit my lip to hold back tears and nodded.

"Thank you for telling me..." I barely chocked out. The doctor rested his hand on my shoulder.

"Do you want to visit her?" he asked. I shook my head no. "Alright. I'll have Harley take you back then. I'm really sorry, Lily." I nodded and turned around, going back the way I came.

I brushed the tears from my eyes and stepped out of the room, a bit hunched over. I shoved my hands in my pockets and frowned. I heard Harley stand up and gasp.

"What happened?" he asked, concerned. I shrugged.

"I don't want to talk about it," I said. He let out a little 'oh'. I shrugged again.

We made our way back to the front waiting room. I waved to him. "Thank you for your help," I called while exiting the building.

"You're welcome!" he answered. A small smile crept onto my face as I heard him get yelled at for slacking off. I started to snicker.

I tilted my head up to the sky, the sun warming my face. "Maybe Megan will get better, and maybe I'll make a new friend. Please protect my Megan," I whispered, another tear falling down my cheek. "Let her be alright. Please." I finished, turning back to the ground and beginning to walk, hoping that everything would be alright.