19.

December 1st. The day my family and I decorate for Christmas. It's our little tradition. I set up the Nativity scene by the chimney, my mom places poinsettias all over the house and we all decorate the tree while listening to Mariah Carey's Christmas album. Then my dad and uncle set up all the outdoor Christmas decorations. Even though it was the same every year, I was always so excited.

After decorating, my family and I sat in the living room drinking hot chocolate and laughing at family memories. Lately it had gotten easier to get rid of any guilty feelings that I had been feeling. I just put it into my head that I am an adult and I am free to make my own choices, no matter how dumb they may be. Besides, I've been an excellent daughter all my life. Good grades, obeying (most of) their rules and respecting them. It's not like I owe them anything....
"Marina? Did you hear what I said?" My mom asked me. I hadn't realized that I had zoned off.
"Oh sorry, no,"
"I said that auntie Christa is visiting for Christmas."
"Oh really! Yay I'm so happy!" I couldn't wait to see my aunt Christa and my little cousins. She lived out of state and it had been a couple of months since I had seen her.

I went upstairs to take a bath. I lit some pine scented candles and played some yule log carols. I was still very much in a Christmasy mood. When I was done washing up I walked into my room and saw that my phone was lit up. I checked and saw that I had a missed call from David. So I called him back.
"Hey babygirl,"
"Hey," I blushed. I always did when he called me that.
"What are you doing?"
"Nothing, I just finished taking a bath. Sorry I missed your call."
"That's okay. I just called to invite you to our annual Office Christmas party,"
"Omg I would love to go!"
"Good! It's going to be held at my house this year,"
"Oh...,"
"Yeah I'm inviting everyone from work and some of my other friends so it's not going to be weird if you're there,"
"Oh okay,"
"Yeah and Renee knows you work for me and stuff, so she won't be wondering who you are or anything,"
"She knows me?" The thought of David telling his wife who I am made me uncomfortable.
"Well..she knows your name and that you work for me. And that's about it."
"Oh. Okay. I can't wait! Um I think my mom is calling me so I'll talk to you later, okay?"
"Sure babe, love you,"
"Me too."
The truth was that the thought of me meeting David's wife for the first time was sending me off the edge. How was I going to be able to look this poor woman in the eye knowing all the bad things I had done to her? Obviously I was a coward, feeling guilty yet still doing harm. I hoped that his kids weren't going to be present because I was going to feel a thousand times worse. Ughh I hate myself.

A few days passed after that and I was completely caught off guard when my mom suddenly asked me: "So what are you going to wear to David's Christmas party?" I froze for a couple of seconds.
"How do you know about his party?"
"He invited us. It's for employees and their families. Didn't he tell you he was going to invite us?"
"No, it must have slipped his mind." I began to imagine just how awkward that party was going to be, "well I was thinking a dress, but I'm not sure. What about you?"
"I'm not sure yet love."

I decided to go shopping with Stella at the mall to find something to wear for the party.
"So he literally invited your parents too?"
"Omigosh it's going to be so weird! Like imagine my mom starts talking with his wife, without a clue that her precious daughter is fucking her husband," I sighed.
"What if David is planning on breaking up with his wife and asking for your father's permission to date you right then and there at the Christmas party!" I heavily rolled my eyes. Stella and her crazy ideas.
"Why the fuck would he do all that at a Christmas party?"
"I don't know," we walked into a boutique that had hundreds of dresses. We started to sort through them but after a while it got a bit overwhelming. We decided to ask one of the store assistants for some fashion advice. We spotted a young woman and went over to her.
"Excuse me? Hi. I was wondering if you could help me pick out a dress?"
"Oh of course! What's the occasion?"
"It's for a work Christmas party. So I want something formal but not too formal,"
"Yeah but she also wants something that is going to make her boss cum when he sees her," Stella joked.
"Stella! Omigosh she's just joking,"
"Oh," the worker laughed awkwardly.
"Yeah I was just playing around," she addressed the young woman.
"I think I might have something in the back you might like, I'll be right back,"
"Okay thank you," I said nicely. After she left I turned to Stella and said, "You fucking bitch," then we both started to laugh. We looked around until the store attendant came back. She held out a red pant suit. A suit?
"I know what your thinking, but just try it on," she said with a smile.
Stella and I went into a dressing room and I began to put on the suit. I wasn't too sure about it. I thought I was going to look like an old lady. But once I had it on I kind of liked the way I looked. The jacket of the suit had a very low neck but showed just the perfect amount of cleavage. It was sexy but not too sexy.
"Damn that looks nice," Stella said.
"You think so? I know it's not really my style but I kinda like it too,"
"You're boobs look good,"
"They do?" I laughed.
"This outfit will look perfect with some black pumps,"
"Yeah, I think I'm gonna take it,"
"Great."
I paid for the suit and then Stella and I were on our way in search of some shoes. I wasn't going to admit this to Stella but another emotion I was feeling was jealously. I wasn't sure how I was going to feel seeing David and his wife together. Obviously I had no right to feel jealous, but still. And I was secretly hoping that I was going to look way better than his wife. A mistress should be an upgrade right?