One;

• Dedicated to Jonathan

August

29, 2013...

My heels made an agitating sound as I crossed the tiled floor that covered every square inch of the lobby to get to the elevator. I patiently waited in the elevator and looked down at my watch seeing it was 8:18.

I didn't have to come in to the building until 9:00 but I always believe that early is on time and on time is tardy. Plus, I had to make a good impression being it was my first day of my internship. When I applied for the job over the summer, the last thing I expected was an actual call back but just last week my phone sounded.

Tom's voice-the man who gave me the job-filled my ears early in the morning telling me they accepted my resumé and proceeded to tell me all that I needed to know.

I stepped off the elevator doors when I reached the tenth floor; the hallway was quiet and empty. Tom said that there would be an office held for me, he said it wasn't big or luxury as other offices here but I didn't care. I was just excited to be here working with Time Out New York magazine.

When I reached the door, I grabbed the keys from my purse and unlocked the door and switched the light on. The one thing I noticed before anything else was the window that peered out to the city. This wasn't the highest floor, but it was still high enough to show the middle part of all the other tall buildings. The only thing in the room was a bookshelf, a desk, and a chair behind it. It wasn't extravagant at all but I'm nothing but an intern and this office was more than perfect.

"Hey." A woman's voice appears behind me. I face the doorway from where it's coming from and I'm face with a girl who was much taller than me with dark brown hair-almost black-with a natural shade of makeup around her eyes.

"Oh, hi. Are you Katherine?" I ask smoothing out my knee-length skirt.

"Yes, and you must be Ivory Gray. Nice to meet you." The stunning brunette approaches me and shakes my hand.

Tom told me that this woman will be my mentor. She will show me the ropes of this whole company and not only will she teach me about this company but any other publishing companies as well.

"You too."

"Oh and please don't call me Katherine, whenever someone calls me by my full name I instantly think it's one of my parents and I just think I'm in trouble." She rolls her eyes.

I laugh and nod. "Okay, what should I call you then?"

"Kat is fine."

"Okay."

"Any nicknames for you that you'd feel more comfortable that I called you by?" She asks, making sure.

I shake my head. "No, just Ivory."

"Oh, well okay," She shrugs. "Ivory is a beautiful name anyways."

"Thank you." I smile feeling like I've heard the compliment numerous times inside of my family, which is why I never thought of a nickname. No one cared to give me one and I didn't care to change it.

She looks down at her watch fixing her hair. "Well I guess the both of us got here a bit earlier than intended, I was just excited to meet you. Tom keeps going on and on about you explaining how smart and how passionate you seem about working at a place like this. Do you want to grab some coffee from the break room?"

"Yeah, sure."

I just remembered that I didn't even get anything to eat or drink before I left out of my place this morning. I had the whole day planned out; you'd think that eating would be on the list.