3 - The Sorting

Chapter Three - The Sorting

Friday, 1st of September, 2017

Hogwarts School of Witchcraft and Wizardry

From behind Rose, Al could see that an elderly woman was standing there. She looked strict - her mouth was a thin line and her face was lined as though from years of frowning. Al immediately thought that she should not be crossed.

Introducing herself as Professor McGonagall, she led them through the door, away from Hagrid, and into a large entrance hall. There was a pair of large oak doors in front of them, but she stopped and turned her back on them. The students gathered nervously around her, and she opened her mouth and began to talk - her tone was sharp and it kept them all silent.

"As some of you may already know, you are about to be sorted into your houses. Your house will be something like a family to you while you are here. You will have classes with and share the same dormitory as them. There are four houses - Gryffindor, Ravenclaw, Hufflepuff, and Slytherin. No house is better than the other - although everyone has their own preferences - and each house has produced both extraordinary and dark wizards. I hope you are a credit to whichever house becomes yours. One more thing - there is an annual house cup awarded at the end of the year. Your successes and endeavours will win you points - any misbehaving will lose you points. And bear in mind that point losses are taken very seriously by your fellow house members."

Al recalled an old tale of his father's, in which he became a sort of outcast after helping his house to lose a hundred and fifty points in one night, and wondered if Professor McGonagall was alluding to that incident.

It appeared that Professor McGonagall had finished her speech, and as she turned around Al fully expected to go through the doors, but instead she steered them all to the left and into a small chamber, which appeared to be beside the room with the doors. Al guessed that it was the main hall; he could hear the noise of many students talking excitedly through the wall.

Professor McGonagall said, "Wait here, quietly," before leaving. A slight hum of conversation built up, but Al was still thinking of what Professor McGonagall had said - this wasn't a holiday. It was going to be hard work.

So lost in thought, Rose had to punch him on the arm to get his attention.

"Wha- huh?"

Rose pointed wordlessly at the two people arguing just beside him.

"Scorpius! I'm really sorry!" Sophie was pleading. "Please forgive me!"

But Scorpius just gave her a blank, cold look.

"I'm sorry! Scorpius! Please!"

"You think sorry makes everything better, Sophie, don't you? Well, sometimes it doesn't!" Scorpius snapped, then he stormed off.

Sophie stared at his retreating figure. "Please." she whispered, and a single tear slid down her cheek.

Al nudged Rose and mouthed, "Should we do something?"

Rose opened her mouth to reply but was cut off by a large "Ooh!"

At least a dozen ghosts had floated through the wall. The first years gathered curiously around them. Al spotted Scorpius across the room. Two angry pink blotches had appeared on his high cheekbones.

The ghosts seemed to be arguing about someone called Peeves.

"Honestly, my dear Friar. Did you not see what he did outside? Terrified the thestrals out of their wits...well hello there!"

A ghost in a ruff and tights, the one who had just spoken, stared around at them all expectantly, but just then Professor McGonagall came back in.

"We're ready for you now," she said sternly, and led them from the room. Al was one of the last to leave - as he was leaving he heard the ghost in the frilly tights say "I knew we should have entered a minute earlier!" Al could have sworn he heard the ghost addressed earlier as 'Friar' mutter "Yes, but then we would have missed the argument!"