Chapter 3 - Jealousy

"Even a happy life cannot be without a measure of darkness, and the word happy would lose its meaning if it were not balanced by sadness. It is far better to take things as they come along with patience and equanimity." ~ Carl Jung

When the ivory shag rug underneath the glass coffee table in my living room came into view, I was elated. I was at my house in San Francisco and it was the most wonderful feeling in the world. I glanced around to reacquaint myself with my surroundings. I sat in between Lynn and Ashton on my couch. The kitchen was off to my left, and the balcony was to my right. Everything seemed to be okay. 

"Ray, what the fuck are you wearing?" 

Hearing Death's voice, I laughed, hopping over the coffee table in my bikini and kickass boots and flew into his arms, nearly collided into Grace, who stood off to the side. Promptly, he returned my hug and sat me down. He swept his dark blond hair out of his face and smiled back at me, but with some reservation. 

"My sister's idea clearly," I replied. "Grace, hello." I reached out to take her hand in mine. 

She didn't move. 

Okay, this is odd, I thought. "I'll change, I promise," I said to my fledgling vampire who seemed to be more pissed off to see me than I would expect. "I don't wear this kind of garb..." 

"What kind of greeting is that?" she growled, crossing her arms over her chest. Unlike the last time I had seen Grace, today she was not covered in blood, nor near death. She had fully recovered and seemed to be challenging me. I was oblivious as to why. Her curls swung around her attractive face defiantly and her green eyes flashed with passion. She wore faded jeans, white sneakers, and a light green fitted T-shirt. I glanced over at Death and realized he too wore a similar outfit. Twinkies? I thought. 

"You just hugged Demetri like he's your boyfriend, and he's not." She snarled at me, and then whisked her long curly red hair over her shoulders. 

"Excuse me? I have had a bad day and am not in the mood!" I extended my fangs and was ready to snatch her by the throat when Death intervened. Snatching people by the throat could be a new pastime of mine, I thought. Despite being almost naked in my absurd red latex bikini, my blood boiled with new thirst, thirst for my own kind. I couldn't imagine that. And I couldn't believe how easy it had been for me to snap at Grace. Would snapping her neck be as easy as it had been with Typhean? I would have no problem ending her if necessary. It was a sobering fact that instantly made me realize just how deadly I had become. What would happen to me if I let my rage take over? 

"Ladies, ladies, that's enough. No cat fights before midnight." Death laughed nervously, separating us immediately. 

I didn't move. 

When Death saw that he couldn't make me budge, he turned his attention to Grace. 

"Grace, sweetheart, sit down. Rayea and her friends have been through a lot. Let's discuss it later, okay? Trust me, you have nothing to worry about. Ray is harmless, but she is a friend of mine, and yours. She's your maker, for goodness sake. Chill out." He motioned for her to sit down in one of the Queen Anne wingback chairs by the French doors. 

Grace slid into the chair. "Ray?" she haughtily pronounced my nickname Death had given me. She glanced over at me and rolled her eyes my way. 

"Would anyone like a drink? I'm going to have one," Death announced as he headed to the island in the kitchen. 

"I'll help you," I too announced to the room as I followed Death to the kitchen. Grace's jealousy had ignited my anger. My body temperature was on fire. I had to cool down and fast. Otherwise, I'd spontaneously combust and die a crispy vampire in my sicko outfit. I clenched my fists as I met Death at the refrigerator. 

"Can I help you?" he asked. 

"Ice. I need ice," I muttered, madly rubbing my arms. Goosebumps popped out all over my body. It appeared I was cold, but I wasn't. I was burning up. 

I completely understood why Grace would be jealous of my relationship with my ex-boyfriend but having friends was not something I was going to dismiss. Having friends like the Angel of Death who was ready to snatch me and my human friends out of Hell at a moment's notice was a gesture of friendship I wouldn't forget anytime soon. I owed him. He had saved our asses, quite literally. 

"I'll get you some. Go sit down." 

I nodded, but I didn't move. I was observing my hands and the tattoos I had recently been given by Typhean. Lines of ink and color were swirling under my skin, racing up and down my arms. I could just see my arms exploding into flames. 

"This is what I get for draining Typhean. Isn't it?" 

Death touched my arms. "You're burning up!" 

"I know. I need ice." 

He yanked the complete icebox out of the fridge and shoved it into my hands. "Go sit down." 

I grabbed a cotton throw from the back of the Queen Anne chair adjacent to Grace and glanced over at Lynn and Ashton who remained motionless like statues frozen to the couch. They refused to look at me, and instead stared at the coffee table. I proceeded to devour the ice cubes like I was munching on popcorn. 

"I think we need shots, De..." I paused before saying Death's name, the nickname I had always called him. Quickly I added 'Demetri' and looked over at Grace. She nodded at me, quietly studying me. 

Great, I thought. Just what I need. I wrapped the throw around my body and flopped in the chair next to her. As soon as I bundled up in the fabric, my skin starting itching. Waves of heat rolled over me. "Fuck," I screamed, standing up and yanking the throw off my body. 

"Rayea?" Death said. He forced me again into the chair. "She's going into shock. What did you do?" he asked me. 

I couldn't concentrate. My arms and legs were going into spasms. Then the convulsions followed. My hands wouldn't stay still, so I drove my nails into the arms of the Queen Anne chairs while my eyes rolled up in my head. 

"Get her boots off, Grace. Help me, please. What did she do?" I heard Death's voice. 

Then Lynn's voice came through darkness as I felt someone, maybe Grace, pull off my boots. "She drained that dragon finger asshole who was torturing her." 

I was trying everything I could do to remain still, feeling the fire in my soul rise. I'd combust in a matter of minutes. I just knew it. This would be the end of me. I'd go out as a stain on my living room floor, a heaping pile of steamy goo. I came too for a few minutes. 

"Grace, get me a knife from the kitchen," Death said to Grace. 

"Can I give her some of my blood, Demetri? She did it for me. Would that help?" she asked. 

"We need to try, yes." 

Then everything went black.

Copyright 2012-2013 Ally Thomas | All Rights Reserved | Cover Design by Cora Graphics

DEDICATION

To Agnese, a recent reader of mine who discovered Rayea's stories and is ready for the next installment like NOW! :D