Chapter Two

It was gone 8pm by the time Cara had finished packing for her assignment and she was just zipping up her flight bag when the doorbell rang. Her apartment was a simple first floor, one bedroom place with its own entrance, but she’d had a video entry phone system installed when she’d moved in. She smiled at John’s image on the screen and pressed the button to allow him in.

“Hello gorgeous!” he bounded up the stairs and greeted her with a broad smile. “I got your text about the job – guessed you wouldn’t have the time or inclination to cook …” he grinned.

“You’re a star,” she replied, “I’m bloody starving.” And with that she grabbed the takeaway bag from him and headed for the kitchen to get a couple of beers out of the fridge.

They crashed out and ate on the leather sofa in the cosy sitting room, talking mostly about John’s day at work, whilst Cara had a brief but heartfelt whinge about Tim’s attitude, stopping just short of giving John any details of the case.

A brief silence fell as the situation made its presence felt. It was the first major job that Cara had been sent on since their relationship began. She wanted to talk to John and ask his advice but that was out of the question due to the nature of the job, and it made their conversation awkward.

“I know you can’t tell me anything,” said John, “I’m assuming they want to use you because you can speak fluent Spanish, and I’m guessing it’s long haul so…do you have any idea of timescale if nothing else?” He had absolute faith in Cara’s abilities as an agent, but that didn’t mean he could switch off his personal feelings entirely and he figured that at least if he knew roughly when she was likely to be back, he wouldn’t spend the next however long wondering if she was ok quite so much.

“It depends on a lot of things,” she answered, giving away nothing. “They want the job done ASAP so I’m hoping it’ll be no longer than a week – but there are so many variables. I won’t even know the full story myself until the pre-op briefing tomorrow morning.” She was picking distractedly at the label on her bottle of Budweiser as she raised her eyes to look at him. “You know I can’t say any more John.”

He smiled ruefully and stroked her hair back from her face. “Yeah…I just didn’t realise how difficult it would be…not knowing.” He looked away momentarily, “I guess I’m getting a taste of what Diane and Alex used to go through every time I went away.”

Cara’s heart lurched. In the short time she’d known John he’d confided in her more than he had anyone else his feelings about his late wife and especially his daughter. She knew how much guilt he carried about the way things had turned out, and that being put in the position they had been so many times would seem like some kind of divine retribution for all they had been through because of the choices he had made.

“John, they wouldn’t be sending me on this assignment if they didn’t think I was the best person for job,” she reassured him. “I realise it must be really weird being on the other side of things, but you'll cope. You’ve got work, Alex and plenty of DIY to be getting on with at your place. I shall be expecting bedroom curtains by the time I get back!” she teased.

“You’re actually going to trust me to choose them without assistance then?” John laughed and raised his eyebrows.

“I can think of better things to be doing in the bedroom when I get back…” she grinned in reply, running her hand up one of his well-muscled, denim clad thighs, “… and better things to be doing right now than sitting here discussing curtains.”

He caught her hand before it reached its intended destination, wanting to spin out the pleasure of this encounter for as long as possible. A more than slightly filthy grin played around the edges of his mouth as he raised his dark eyebrows above ice blue eyes that burned with lust and murmured huskily, “Would you like to be a little bit more specific?”