Chapter 9: Isn't She?

Chloe's POV

The still atmosphere was freaking me out. As I looked around the dull waiting room it was so quiet, so reserved. Everyone looked either anxious or worried. And I probably did too. The air was heavy and smelt like plastic and medicine. Every now and then a faint whiff of food could be smelt wafting up from the cafeteria. "Is there a Chloe out here?". A nurse in a blue uniform poked her head out into the room. I stood up and headed towards you. "You can see your mom now. But brace yourself she's not in the best condition." She pushed open a door and I stepped into the white room. Dad stood up from a stool near a bed and wrapped me in a hug. I quickly squirmed free and ran over to the bed. Mom was laying in it but she didn't look normal. She was pale and blotchy. Her skin was almost grey. Her hair was falling out from her treatment. She had bruises along her left side, probably from when she fell in the viewing room. There were tubes connected to her body and monitors lined the other side of the bed. "She's unconscious. They suspect she should be awake in the next 24 hours. If not then it could be more serious then they think." "She's going to die isn't she dad?" No reply. "Isn't she!" I demanded more then asked. He got up and left the room. As the door slammed shut I collapsed on the cold floor, tears streaming down my face. My mom can't die! She can't! She has to survive. For me. And dad. And Clara. We need her. I can't live without her.