M.C.M. - Magical Crises Management

I was walking through the downtown area when the sun was setting, and creating a halo like effect behind the high rise buildings.  It was the last Friday of April, and the air was still warm, but also a little moist from the last rainfall. I could feel the magic in the air. Twilight was a time when magic was most powerful, especially for magic users.

I was walking down the empty street that was lined by small business buildings that were mostly used by lawyers and consultation firms. Most people had left for the day.  It was further away from the center of downtown, where my mother’ town house was located, than I usually walked, but I hoped that it would help clear my mind.

I had another lovely chat with my mother about my future since I had just graduated college. This chat has been going ever since I finished high school, and decided to pursue higher education in the human world, and study Political Science of all things. The thing is that I am a witch, and not just any witch. I am a Hollow’s Witch, a great linage of witches who are expected to do great things. In the world of magic of course.

The problem is I am not sure what I want to do. I thought those four years studying would finally help me decided, but there were pretty useless in that department. It was not like the Career Center had a department for Magical Beings.

I let out a mental sigh and continued trotting along red brick sidewalk. I knew I could not hide form my mother forever, and one way or another I would have to start supporting myself.

My rambled thoughts were interrupted by shrill shriek that seemed to have come from behind the wall of parking lot that I was standing at.

I quickly walked to the end of the wall where the entry of the parking lot was and witnessed the shocking scene. There was a large muscular man pinning a young blonde against the wall of the entrance.  She was wearing a fitted purple dress that came down to her knees, with a black bowtie in her hair, while he was wearing a torn leather jack along with equally torn black jeans.  He had a military buzz cut. I was not sure how old he was, maybe in his late thirties. The part that did grab my attention was his hands. He was using one hand to hold her, and in the other he was holding a wand.

“Tell me the names!” he commanded while she continued to struggle, “or I will burst you pretty little head in a million little pieces.”

Neither of them had seemed to notice me yet, and I slowly grabbed my wand out of my purse and held it beside me. I have never been in situations like this, but I had to spend countless summers at my Uncles', who was a Master Dueler, and he had made sure to train me for situations like this one.

I took a few steps closer to the scene.

“Take your hands off of her, and walk away,” I simply commanded as I felt the adrenaline begin to rush through my body. It was the first time they had noticed me. He turned his head around to look who had spoken. I could now see his young, rather attractive face.

“Sweetie, just get out of here so I do not have to harm more people than necessary,” He simply replied in annoyed tone.

“You better listen to him!” the young woman yelled towards me while still pinned to the wall, which surprised me. I did not expect the victim to gang up with the attacker. That does not happen all too often, but I decided to ignore the comment.

“I repeat myself again, get away from her before I harm you,” I sternly told him and lifted my chest brown wand that had been passed down my great grandmother. This caught both of their attention, and I could see a slight smile spread across blonde’s face. It was like she realized that I could actually help her.

“Very funny,” he replied even more annoyed now, “but as I said before you really do not want to get involved …” before he could finish I fired a disarming spell towards him, which he deflected with a silver shield. While doing so he let go of the blonde, and turned completely around to face me. I could see his face redden.

“I told you to leave this place, but now it is too late,” he spit at me and fired two fireballs towards me. My uncle had done that plenty of times before. Sometimes he randomly did it while we were eating breakfast to train me to bring up my shield as quickly as possible, and so I did not really had much trouble reflecting spells. Especially since my current attacker’s spells were not particularly strong.

“Is that all you have?” I asked him, and with that he fired three more shots at me, which I once again easily deflected. Then I decided it was my turn, and when the last fireball left his wand I started firing my own spells. I decided to send some easy force spells towards him.

He deflected the first one. The second one cracked his shield, and the third one was the one that blew him against the wall. He then crumbled down in his unconscious state to the ground. I could see that his body had made a slight dent in the brick wall. Of course my force spells did have a slight kick to them, which I had perfected over the years.

With him out of commission I looked over to the young woman who had moved to the front door. I was not sure how to proceed next. Should I call the Magical Investigators, or maybe the Magic-Human Liaisons?

“Are you okay?” I finally asked her as she dusted some dirt of her dress.

“That was pretty amazing, but I could have handled that myself,” she replied simply as she looked up with a smile, and then grabbed the beige Couch bag form where she dropped it.

“Yes, that is what it seemed like,” I mockingly replied. I was still not sure how to proceed here. The regular human population was not really aware of the Magical World, and one usually would call MH to clean up messes like this. The problem was I was not sure what kind of mess I stumbled on my evening stroll.

“Well, things can be sometimes deceiving, but thanks anyway for that save,” she said as she walked towards me to shake my hand,” I am Lisa Murray by the way.”

“You’re welcome, and I am Jessica,” I replied unsure of myself and shook her hand in a professional manner. Before she could say anything a black Jaguar blew into the parking lot, and came to a screeching halt just a few feet away from. A man quickly got out of the driver seat. He was in his late thirties and had short dark brown hair, with some grey strands. He was dressed in black slacks, a white shirt and a tan sports jacket.

“Lisa, what in the hell happened here?” was the first thing that came out of his mouth as he strode towards Lisa. Not even acknowledging my presence.

“Well, Richie here,” she pointed towards the unconscious body of the man, “was not too happy with our fix down in Richmond, and wanted some information, and this lovely lady here saved my little butt before you could.”

This made him turn to me. He scanned me and the scene for a second and took a step towards me.

“Well I greatly appreciate your help here Ms …” he began.

“Jessica,” I replied, “Jessica Hollows.” I could see a very slight reaction in his face when I mentioned my last name.

“Oh, well it is always a pleasure to thank a Hollows, you must be Susanne’s daughter,” he said with a smile.

“Yes, I am,” I replied not sure where this conversation would lead, or what I had walked into.

“Oh, I am so sorry, I did not even introduce myself,” he quickly chimed back realizing my awkward reply, “I am John Glen, I am the Magical Crises Management Director at Glen, Gassaway & Associates.”

“Well it is nice to meet you too” I was still a bit awkward, and confused. I could also feel the adrenaline begin wear off.

“Yes, well thank you again for your help, but I will take over this little inconvenience now,” he commented as he eyed over Richie’s body.

“Little inconvenience, my ass,” Lisa commented after typing something in her iPhone, and Glen rolled his eyes while also taking out his own phone out of his pocket.

“Well, I think I will get going now,” I said not sure what else to do here and slowly started walking away.

 “Yes, thank you again Ms. Hollows for your assistance, and maybe our paths will cross in the future in more convenient  circumstances,” John replied as he dialed a phone number and put it up to his ear, and with that I walked away from my little adventure for the evening. 

---

Thank you for reaidng, and feel free to honestly tell me what you think :)