Hearts In The Air

A/N:

Hey, 

This is my first story on here  and I'm writting it because my friend (Shygirlxxx) told me to. lol. 

Anyway, this first chapter isn't great, more of an introduction to characters and stuff but I hope you like it!

Also, the characters go to 'Explorers' which in case you don't know is a part of the 'Scout Network' for boys and girls age 14 to 18. More info on external link =)

_____________________________________________________

Chapter 1:

Trust me it'll be fun!” Ashlyn, my best friend tried to convince me and she forced me into the old hall. We we're greeted by shouting and laughter so I shot Ashlyn a worried expression to which she replied with an enthusiastic smile. “Come on!” she grabbed my arm and walked over to the adult leaning causally on the wall while one group of teenage boys ran around and another stood at the side, chatting.

The man looked over and smiled. “Miss Tyler?” he asked my friend whose brother used to go to this Explorer unit.

“Yeah and this is Catherine Smith,” she introduced me and a glared at her briefly as she used my full name.

“Hi, I'm Tim, most people call me Chapman. I'll give you two some forms at the end that you'll need to fill in. Do you know anyone here?” he asked and Ashlyn looked round.

“Luke goes to our school and I know Jessica,” she replied. I didn't know that Luke came here too.

“Cool, we'll start in a few minutes,” he commented and Ashlyn led me over to where two girls were standing. By the looks of it they were the only other girls in the unit.

“Hey! Ashlyn you came!” a short, brown haired girl shouted, hugging Ashlyn. She laughed.

“Yeah, Jess this is Cath. Cath this is Jess” she introduced me to this girl.

“Hiya, this is Kate by the way,” she said, referring to the girl next to her.

Before we could continue the conversation Chapman shouted, “Stop the game, Uniforms on and get in the centre for the flag!” I had no idea what we were supposed to do and judging by the look on her face neither did Ashlyn. Luckily for us, Jess talked us through what to do as everyone stood in a horseshoe and someone raised the flag. We then had to salute it before Chapman explained what we were doing this evening.

I sighed as he mentioned a quiz. I hated quizzes! And the groups were random so I wasn't with Ashlyn.

“Oh and this is Ashlyn and Catherine, please be nice to them – I know what you boys are like!” He said at the end and everyone turned to stare at us. I was also slightly worried by his comment.

I sat down next to a boy in my group as two other boys brought over a table.

“Hey, so you're Catherine?” he asked.

“Please call me Cath, I hate my full name! It makes me sound so posh!” I laughed.

“Okay then Cath, I'm Jamie,” he replied, smiling. He had light brown hair, soft hazel eyes and seemed quite friendly. “That's Rob and that's Elliot,” he commented. Talking about the other tow boys who put the table down in front of us before getting a chair each.

“Cool,” I answered.

The quiz wasn't too bad. Rob was one of the oldest in the unit so knew a lot. To be honest I was hopeless but so was Jamie so it wasn't so bad. I glanced over at Ashlyn occasionally. She seemed to be having fun. She was in a group with Kate, Luke and another boy who had apparently started tonight. “What's his name?” I asked Jamie. I'd given up on the Maths quiz I was meant to be helping Elliot with and pointed to the boy next to Ashlyn.

“Him? That's Sean,” he said and I nodded. I was sure I recognised him from somewhere. “He has a girlfriend by the way,” Jamie commented and I slapped him gently on the arm.

“I couldn't care less about that! I only asked 'cause I recognised him!” I exclaimed, making him laugh. Apparently Jamie had also given up on the quiz.

A few more impossible quizzes later it turned out our team did quite well, coming second.

“Ha Ash, we beat you!” I laughed, speaking to her as we ran down the hall, avoiding the balls being thrown at us as we played a rather rough version of dodge ball.

“Only by one point! And that's because you had Rob who even admitted he'd done that quiz before!” she pointed out.

“True, but I don't care!” I shrugged.

“Oh, I'm out now!” she said, glaring at Jamie who had thrown the ball.

I carried on running but was out not long after.

“You two look like you've had fun!” Ashlyn's Dad commented when he picked us up.

“Yeah we did,” Ashlyn replied.

“Yeah,” I agreed. I'd genuinely had fun, even though I'd thought that I would hate it.

“Do you know anything about Sean?” I asked her when we were sitting in the car on the way back.

“The boy in my group? No, nothing,” she replied and I tried to think why I recognised him. “Why?” she asked.

“I'm sure I've seen him somewhere before,” I told her but she shrugged.

“You might of but I don't think I have. Look him up on Facebook,” she suggested and I nodded, taking out my phone. “His last name's Mullet,” she told me. I had no idea how she knew.

There was only one Sean Mullet who lived in the area so I clicked on his profile. As soon as I saw his profile picture I knew why I recognised him.

“He's my cousin's boyfriend, that's why I recognise him. He came to my sister's party last month,” I explained to Ashlyn, who nodded. I added him as a friend as I was on his profile.

“See you tomorrow!” Ashlyn shouted as I got out the car at my house.

“Bye!” I replied, running up the path.