Chapter Twelve How Could You

Copyright © MarcyN 2013

She had been waiting patiently for their arrival she had cooked a big meal and made Bruno and Ignacio take baths. She was excited to see her only granddaughter and her friend. So she sat by the window waiting until she dozed off. A   car pull up on the gravel driveway to the house She  instantly woke with the sound pushing back the curtain and sticking her head out. A gray sports car with two passengers was parked. A young man tall and blonde stepped out dressed in jeans and a white shirt he walked around the car and opened the door. This was definitely a plus in her book . As her beautiful granddaughter stepped out looking like a model herself. Shouting as she ran pulling the door open she rushed out  opening her arms wide. “My baby come give me a hug.”

“Nonna.” Lauren ran to give her grandmother a hug. The small woman with the gray ponytail was dressed in a pink velour track suit that showed off her still shapely figure. This definitely was the grandma's of years past.

“Grandmom you working out.”

“Of course I have to stay in shape I jog a mile everyday.”

“No Stop..” Lauren looked at her grandmother in disbelief

“See Lauren nonna jogs.”

“Nonna this Robert.”

“I this handsome young man my new grandson?”

“No were friends.”

“You act like more than friends to me.”

“We are very good friends Nonna.” Robert nudged Lauren. They  were entering the house just as two burly big men came to the door.  They gather Lauren in two separate bear hugs than gave him an ugly look. Uncle Bruno and Uncle Ignacio this is Robert.  They both gripped his hand tightly in a handshake that left him shaking the pain off. “Your father called Lauren told us you would be with Robert. He also told us to keep an eye on him. “You two leave the boy alone. Come let’s eat.”

They ate, drank wine and her grandmother told stories of her life as a child and then she talked about her grandfather and sons especially her father who moved to the states. Her uncle’s seemed to like Robert teasing him constantly calling him Mr. Big Shot with his fancy car and clothes he took it well and put them in their place. “My mother raised me and my sister by herself and put us both through college. I had to get rich so that she could lay back and let me take care of her.”

  “Oh Lauren he is wonderful . A perfect match. “

When they finally head to their separate room. She tossed and turned unable to relax until finally she gave in and eased down the hall to Rob’s room. Easing open the door she stepped in.”Finally. I thought you would never come. I couldn’t sleep.”

“Me neither.” She walked over to the bed he pulled her in and they snuggled and slept.

The phone rang loudly in the hallway  Theresa rose to answer afraid that something serious had happened. “Hello.”

“Mama it’s Celia..”

“Is Orlando ok..”

“Yes mama I’m sorry I wanted to speak to Lauren is she there yet.”

“Yes, she and Robert are here they make a beautiful couple.”

“Mama there friends.”

“Celia these two are more than friends. Hold on.”

Theresa knew Lauren wasn’t in her room she heard her easing down the hall earlier heading to Roberts room so she went straight there and knocked. “Lauren wake up. Your mothers on the phone.”