Quick Naming

This will be a quick one specifically for people who want semi-random names based on sounds they like.

Names can be very important to an author, but if you're like me, you might have trouble finding one that's just right. Whether it be because you can't get the sound of it to fit, or you feel the compulsion to look up the root meanings/definitions and can't seem to find one that matches up with what you want.

Well, aside from using name generators, (My personal favorite is http://www.behindthename.com/random/ Definitely check it out. Tons of options.) a method that I've found to be pleasing is to come up with a variety of one or two syllable sounds that you like and combine them in whatever order you choose.

Let's say you have a character who is snake-like and you want this character to have a name that sounds snake-ish. You could pick some syllables and letters with sounds you think remind you of snakes, like so:

sli

th

sn

a

vir

las

vis

ka

ke

Then, mix and match them to make various snakey names:

Slivis Kalas

Lasavir Thasna

Viska Slitha

You could do the same for just about any situation. If you want werewolf, angel, or elven names, you can pick pieces that you like of common names for those categories and have at it! 

Your names might seem very exotic, but they will sound like you want them to, and most times, you won't have to worry about them meaning something in a different language or having roots that you didn't intend.

If you find that you have too many consonants in the sounds you're choosing, throw in a few vowels by themselves to act as connectors.

Feel free to share in the comments and get opinions from other readers if you come up with something you particularly like with this method.