Home Sweet Home

I stare out the cab window to the millions of trees that surround the road. I watch as the wind ruffles the leaves and see them fall to the pavement. Looking deep in the forest, I can almost picture the animals running around. A squirrel hunting for nuts, a family of deer waiting to come out of hiding to cross the road because they were told that the grass was better on the other side, or the coyotes sleeping soundly to get their rest for hunting that night.

We get to a dirt road, and notice the forest gets thicker. Soon there wasn't much of the mid morning sun on the road so the driver put his headlights on. We drive down for what feels like forever, hitting my head on the back of the car seat when we hit a bump in the road. I almost felt car sick. The driver suddenly stops the car at a big iron gate. I see him look at me through the rearview mirror, but I just stare out the window. He sighs and opens his door and gets out. I than reach my hand into my left front pocket and take out my phone. O messages it read. Good, I thought, he's finally leaving me alone. But just as soon as it went through my mind, my phone vibrates with a call. I look at the contact. Carter it read. I heave a big sigh, close my eyes and press answer. As I put my phone up to my ear, I could already him apologizing and rambling on.

"Oh thank god you answered, I've been so worried. I haven't heard from you in days and I just heard about your mom, I probably shouldn't talk about it, but I'm so sorry. You should come back home to Boston, you can come live with me, mom said it was okay. You shouldn't have to move so far away, especially with a man you don't even know..."

"Shut up you douche." I say it without hesitation, and he stops talking.

After a couple of minutes I finally hear him clear his throat. "Excuse me? What did you just call me? I don't think I heard you correctly." He had his angry voice on, as he likes to call it. I think it's his more regular voice, it brings out the true nature in him.

"You heard me," I say. "You honestly expect me to come back to you? Let alone live with you after what you did? You cheated. With Heather. My best friend."

"Oh come on, that didn't mean anything. It was just I bet with some of my buddies..." I let him ramble on with more excuses as I unbuckle the seat belt and get out of the cab. The driver was in the back of the truck getting me bags out as I approach the iron gate. It looked to be about ten feet tall, and the workman ship on it was amazing. I had my phone to my ear as I stepped closer to the gate, my hand reaching for it. My hand grabs around one of the iron poles and it tingles. A zing goes through my arm as I bring it back to my side. I gasp and suddenly the wind picks up and it howls. Dark clouds roll in and cover the sun. I look up trying to keep my chestnut hair out of my face.

"Am? Am you there?" I'm suddenly back to reality when I hear Carter calling me the nickname he gave me. I hate it.

"Yeah I'm here." I say it snotty so he know I'm still mad. "You say it didn't mean anything, but it obviously meant enough to have round two with her."

"That's just a rumor! Why won't you believe me?! Just come home and we can get this all straightened out, and we can have Heather over and it would be like the good old times when we were kids."

"Yeah, except when I wake up in the morning to find you both naked in your bed." I press end fast so I didn't have to hear anymore from him.

Carter, Heather, and I have been friends since the third grade. And as tradition, two of the friends would fall in love, Carter & I. Heather had always supported us, but I could tell she was jealous because her best friends had someone else to lean on besides her. Two weeks ago there was a party, I didn't want to go so I told Carter to go with Heather and help her pick up a man. Little did I know she had her eye on Carter. So of course she plays the whole innocent game, getting drunk and making a move. Carter's buddies just laughed along and soon enough they were in a bedroom. Heard about it all day the next day. Carter blue it off as a joke, didn't even bother telling me the second it saw him.Heather tried to play the whole innocent act on me, saying she was drunk and blah blah blah. I just called her a slut and walked away. Haven't talked to her since. And don't plan on it either. She hasn't tried to contact me at all, but if she does, I have her down as Slut in my contacts.

I move back to the gate and see it is locked. I look around and spot something hanging from the tree. I walk over to it and see its a big fancy key, looking just as beautiful as the gate, hanging from a piece of string. Attached to it is a note. I take the key and unfold the note. It read;

Welcome Home, Amelia.

I hear someone clear their throat. I turn to see the cab driver in his car and my bags on the side of the road. I walk over to me bags, grab my purse and pull out a $20. I hand it to the cab driver, and soon enough he is turned around and heading off down the dirt road.

I walk back over to the gate and unlock the door. Again a zing goes through my arm, but I just ignore it. It's just a shock I tell myself. I grab my bags and start walking up the road. After a couple of minutes I see a body of a house behind some trees. Home sweet home I think as I approach the big house.