Chapter 7: so the Yankees...

so the Yankees...

I’m so mad I could hit someone.

“Corey,” someone’s hand is on my shoulder.

“What the hell do you--” I stop when I see Jessica. Emmaleigh is behind her, a scared look on her face and a pen in her hand.

“You dropped it,” she almost whispers, holding the object out to me.

“Sorry, Emmaleigh. Today’s just not a good day. I wasn’t yelling at you.” She looks up, concerned.

“What happened?” I ruffle my hair lightly.

“Just...Trevor being an asshole.”

“Trevor-Haley’s-new-boyfriend-Trevor?” Jessica asks, narrowing her eyes slightly. I ignore her and look back at Emmaleigh.

“Haley doesn’t seem like someone who’d date an asshole,” she says quietly, stumbling slightly over the a-word. She raises her blue eyes to my face and lets out the smallest of comforting smiles. “He’ll come around.”

“We gotta go,” Jessica cuts in. “Bye!” She drags Emmaleigh away.

“Corey!” Unfortunately, this delay has given Trevor time to catch up to me, Spike a short distance behind him.

“Jealousy?” he pants. I ignore him and keep walking. “Corey,” he says, grabbing my shoulder. By now Spike has caught up.

“What’s going on?” He moves Trevor’s hand away and stands beside us.

“Jealousy?” Trevor asks again.

“If Haley doesn’t want you to know then I’m not going to say anything,” I say evenly.

“Jealousy is such an ugly color,” Spike says, looking at Trevor carefully. What’s going on?

“God Dammit.” Trevor lets out a groan and sits down with his back to the lockers. I sit down on one side of him, Spike on the other. Trevor puts his head in his hands. “God Dammit!”

“What?” I ask.

“Damn Christa,” Trevor says.

“What did she say?” I ask. He shakes his head, but Spike prods him.

“Christa is in your math class,” he begins. “And she says you guys have been talking a lot lately and,” he pauses, not really wanting to talk about it. “You know, passing notes today and stuff.” I can’t believe my ears.

“So you’re jealous?” He just shrugs. “Dude, you know Haley and I are just--”

“Friend, I know!” he yells in exasperation. “But knowing,” he points to his head. “and knowing,” he points to his chest. “are apparently two completely different ballgames!” I look at him. He just shakes his head. “You don’t know how annoying this is.”

“Oh yeah, because I never felt jealous when I found out Haley was living with you and hadn’t told me,” I spat. That was why we broke up. Not that Haley minded horribly, she was more upset with the fact that she made me cry. That was the old Haley, the one who didn’t feel many emotions.

“Well I don’t plan on solving it the way you did,” Trevor mutters.

“Well then you should probably talk to her,” I snap. “instead of being a jealous ass hole.”

“You know what--”

“He’s right, Trevor,” Spike says, clasping a hand over his mouth. “You’re going to have to talk to her.”