Off To Grandma's House

***

Little girls, this seems to say, Never stop upon your way, Never trust a stranger-friend; No one knows how it will end. As you're pretty so be wise; Wolves may lurk in every guise. Handsome they may be, and kind, Gay, and charming — nevermind! Now, as then, 'tis simple truth — Sweetest tongue has sharpest tooth!

***

"Scarlet, honey, wait one second!"

Scarlet already had one foot out the door, eager to run into Hunter's waiting arms, but came to an abrupt halt at the sound of her mother's voice.

"What is it?" Scarlet asked, tone impatient. She returned her attention to where Hunter stood waiting at the end of the driveway. When Hunter met her gaze, Scarlet held up a finger and mouthed, One more second!

Hunter's lips curved into a knowing smile and she nodded, as if to say, Don't worry, I'm not leaving without you.

Scarlet watched as her mother—moving at a snail's pace—placed a thermos full of hot tea and a plastic container with a muffin in it, into her backpack. She zipped it and returned it to her daughter's outstretched hand.

"Take this to your grandmother, alright?"

"Oh right," Scarlet said, hoisting the backpack back over her shoulder and then heading back towards the door. "I'll be back home a little later tonight, I'm going to be studying with Hunter at her house after school."

"How late?"

Scarlet pretended to think about it. "Probably after dinner time."

Her mother's lips formed a thin line. "Be safe, Scar. Stay on the main road, okay? No shortcuts through the woods, you'll get lost if it's too dark out."

Scarlet resisted the urge to roll her eyes. "Mom it's fine, I know this town like the back of my hand." She held up her hand and pretended to examine it. "Wait a second..." she said, bringing her hand to her face, "what is that...?"

Her mother laughed and shooed her. "Get out of here. Tell Nana I love her and call me when you're on your way home."

Scarlet smiled. "Will do, mom." And then she was gone.

***

"Why do you always wear that hoodie?" Hunter asked, eyeing Scarlet over with her bright blue eyes. The two girls were walking towards their high school, as they did every morning.

Scarlet looked down at the hoodie in question. "Nana bought it for me," she said, lifting her gaze and frowning at the slightly taller girl. "You don't like it?"

"It's okay..." she placed a hand under her chin and examined Scarlet, who pouted at her. "I'd like it better if I got to take it off," Hunter added smoothly, grinning when Scarlet, cheeks flushed pink, playfully elbowed her.

"Someone's going to hear you," Scarlet whispered, but her face was full of mischief. She resisted the urge to reach for Hunter's hand. Hunter seemed to have the same idea, because she offered Scarlet an apologetic smile, her fingers twitching at her side.

Scarlet knew that Deep Wood, the rural farming town in Idaho where she and Hunter called home, hadn't changed much since the mid 1800s, and that gossip spread like wildfire. Hunter herself had declared long ago that she would likely kill herself if her family ever found out about her being gay, and she had made Scarlet promise never to tell anyone about their relationship. Scarlet didn't mind keeping it a secret, as long as she had Hunter she was happy.