Chapter 10: Liberation

"Cowards, all of you," Hollingsworth said spitefully. "You dare attack an unprepared Stronghold against proper terms of war! You will all face individual tribunals, and you will all be found guilty!"

Celestia's followers were all bound and seated on the floor against the wall of the dining room. Hollingsworth paced the floor in front of them, glaring at them all. Mason stood by the entrance of the room, watching silently.

Hollingsworth turned to the guards. "The Council will have to be postponed," she said. "Alert the Strongholds and Centrals. And take this scum to the dungeons," she jerked her head towards the constrained infiltrators.

The soldiers obeyed her orders, approaching the handcuffed invaders. Hollingsworth made her way out of the dining hall.

"Come with me," she muttered quietly to Mason, who obeyed her as well. Together, they walked swiftly down the all.

"What's going on? Where did they go?" Mason asked.

"Paralee Johansson has taken Rick, Rose, and Chase to the Garden of Corvula to hide."

"But-"

"I cannot afford to send every member of 707 abroad," Hollingsworth spoke quickly, as if reading his mind. "Besides, I have a much greater job for you to handle."

Mason raised his eyebrows, although Hollingsworth could not see him as she continually stared straight ahead.

"The time has come to find the other members of 707."

"You mean we're not the only ones?"

"No. We believe there are two more members. Circire has sent them to Paris, where they are staying at the Myriad Stronghold."

"Myriad?"

"A form of Secret Service for the Prime Witch," Hollingsworth answered bluntly. "They will be safe until we can visit them."

"When are we leaving?"

"Right now."

"Now? The Stronghold has just been attacked!"

"By less than a hundred unorganized soldiers! And the people whom they are searching for are hundreds of miles away. The Stronghold will not be attacked again anytime soon, I guarantee it. What worries me most is how they found their way inside in the first place."

"But do you think it's true? Do you really think they can resurrect Celestia?"

Hollingsworth sighed. "I do not know. I cannot comprehend how the Liebeaux Family operates, so I cannot understand any logical reason as to how exactly a deceased person can return to the mortal world."

"Ah, there you are," Circire, Hecata, and Reuben Zarrius had rounded a corner and approached Mason and Hollingsworth. "Is everything prepared for our departure?"

"Yes. We must leave for Paris immediately."

"I told you, I told you we should have sent them off earlier!" Hecata exclaimed.

"Yes, yes, you were right, I was wrong. Happy?" Hollingsworth said.

"Off we go, then!" Hecata said cheerily, and she grabbed Mason's wrist as Circire took hold of Hollingsworth's and Reuben's and suddenly the world turned and vanished.

Mason felt as if he was blind; the intense white light was too bright for his sight. He brought his forearm against his pure green eyes to shield them from harm, when suddenly a strong surface punched him in his side.

Grunting, Mason lifted himself from the ground. It took him a few seconds to realize the blinding light had dispersed, as he slowly removed his arm from his forehead and uncovered his eyes. Hollingsworth sat next to him, bringing herself up from the ground as if embarrassed to be seen like a crouching child. Circire and Hecata were both standing and approaching a small metal table, at which was seated an Asian girl with a precise ponytail and a young woman with silvery-blonde hair.