Chapter One

Chapter One

            Eyes snapping open, body shaking in fear, sweat like bullets trickling down her flawless pale skin – Mary has had another nightmare.

            Mary took in her surroundings, remembering that she was already in Ashford, Washington. She was lying on her bed, still panting from the images of her nightmare. Her head tilted to the side, as she searched for the digital alarm clock.

3:43 AM. She read.

            She pulled away the duvet, sliding off the bed and grabbing the towel on the back door. She entered the bathroom and did her usual task.

            It wasn’t unusual for Mary to wake up so early in the morning. Ever since she has lost everyone close to her, she has gotten used to the fact that she could never fall asleep for more than five hours.

            After the uneventful bath, she quickly went to the kitchen and cooked herself some bacon and eggs. She prepared orange juice and toasted some bread. She then leaned on the counter, waiting for everything to be done. She shut her eyes, and sighed deeply. She was in pain… as usual. She couldn’t stop her nightmares from haunting her; but she shook her thoughts away and sat down on the chair, digging in after some few minutes.

            She washed the plates, and brushed her teeth. She checked the time again, and only an hour passed.

            I guess I got used to time being so fast, she thought, walking towards her room to grab her bag. Mary exits her room after checking everything, and then grabbed the keys on the key-holder just near the refrigerator in the kitchen. She made her way to the couch and sank herself with self-pity.

            Mary was nervous – actually, no… that’s an extreme understatement. She was petrified. All she could think of was… what if they know? What if they bully me, or something? And then she comes with a conclusion. Blend in with the lockers, and be unapproachable as possible – or simply, be invisible.

            The broken girl stood up from the seat and stormed out of her new home as she had enough of thinking and surrounding herself with negativity. She went inside her car and drove away from the empty house.

It was cold outside. Though she wasn’t used to that kind of weather, it was nostalgic for her. It reminded her of something that she can’t quite put a finger on. And it scared her.

            Mary drove around town in a slow pace. It was only five in the morning, the last time she checked. And she was awed by the town. Everywhere she looked, it was green; and Mary loves it, because nature makes her feel at ease. She could clearly see the beauty of the town though the sun was still rising. Being Mary, you would get used to the dark. Her eyes have adjusted to it, making her see clearly at night. And yet, it was another thing Mary was scared of.