Chapter 2 - Chamber of Secrets

Author’s note: Welcome back to ‘The Struggles of a Spy’ where we now take a glimpse into Severus’ POV of Harry’s second year at Hogwarts. To my surprise, this chapter is twice as long as the Philosopher's Stone update! I was not expecting that! Anyway, I hope you enjoy the chapter J It was a fun and interesting chapter to write (as I think all of these chapters will be :D). Happy reading! I look forward to hearing your thoughts!

I dedicate this chapter to Gamecow who has been a wonderfully dedicated reader of mine since i began publishing my stories on Wattpad. To this day she continues to read, comment, and vote on each of my fanfics. Thank you so much my friend!

Disclaimer: Aspects of this chapter were taken directly from the novel: ‘Harry Potter and the Chamber of Secrets,’ written by JK Rowling. The relevant dialogue was not written by me, but inserted directly from the aforementioned book to ensure this chapter (and the others in this story) remain as close to the novel as possible.

‘The Struggles of a Spy’

Chapter 2- The Chamber of Secrets

Severus’ POV

I found myself in the same position as I was during Potter’s first year; sitting at the staff table, listening to the chatter of the various professors sitting around me. Another year of classes… another year of protecting Harry Potter.

I was certain this year could not be worse than the last.

I stared out at the students who were still coming through the doors from the train station, waiting maliciously for Potter to walk through so I could consider ways of paying him back for going down the trap door the previous year and for stealing the House Cup from me. Perhaps Albus should have been responsible for the latter, but it was far more enjoyable to punish the boy instead.

As I attempted to find Potter amongst the sea of heads, my attention was taken by the taller, older wizard walking through the crowd towards the staff table. I only then realised that Albus, who was amongst us minutes ago, had somehow slid away without my noticing and was now returning appearing grim and concerned. I had expected him to walk towards the centre of the table to speak with Minerva as his deputy, but I knew by his gaze that he was walking to me.

It is rare that Albus reflects any form of negative emotion on his face, especially when among students, but he was not hiding his… fear? I could not take my eyes off him as he approached me; I had no idea what he was about to say or how it would involve me, but my heart had begun to race in anticipation of bad news.

“Come with me,” is all he uttered. I was surprised to find that I was already half way out of my seat. I immediately obeyed and followed him hurriedly to one of the side rooms of the Great Hall.

“What is it, Albus?” I asked urgently once we were out of earshot.

Albus simply held out a newspaper. He said nothing.

I took the paper from his hands and unfolded it to see a photo of what appeared to be a flying car.

Ford Anglia Mystifies Muggles

I briefly skimmed through the article, but it did not provide any indication of who the car could belong to or why Albus appeared so grave.

When I finished reading, I looked up at Albus feeling confused.

“Mr Weasley and Mr Potter were not on the Hogwarts Express,” he announced to me quietly.

Well it would have been helpful to have known that before seeing the article.

“I believe this could be them,” Albus continued, pointing at the image of the car still held in my hands.

Finally, I found the words to speak.