Chapter 7 Avalanche

Chapter 7

Avalanche 

I waited at the mouth of the gorge for Cane and West to return with the other dominants. A week into our journey to southern territory winter storms had moved in and driven the game farther away from us. I glanced over my shoulder at the little wolf curled up nearby. The poor thing was shivering again. I didn’t understand why his coat hadn’t thickened up by now. 

I smelt the air. The scent of blood was getting closer. I walked into the trees to find Cane dragging a feral wolf through the trees. My muzzle dropped open.

“No.”

“It’s all we could get,” the alpha snapped. 

“That is disgusting.” I pointed to the body. 

West tossed another onto the pile.

“We can either die of starvation or eat,” growled Cane. 

“This is cannibalism.”

“They’re not werewolves,” snapped West. “It’s no different than a bear.”

I shook my head. “They won’t eat this. I won’t eat this.”

“Then they can all die,” said Cane. 

The dominants gathered around and started to rip apart the wolf carcasses. “Food is food, Ranger,” stated the alpha. “If we won’t to survive then we can’t be picky.”

I ran a hand through my head fur. “You couldn’t find anything else?”

“Look around.” Cane stood. “Do you see anything else? We’re the only idiots that stays this far north in the mountains. It’s this or nothing, Ranger. I don’t care if we loss some extra weigh.”

He didn’t have to say a name to know who he was referring too. 

I narrowed my eyes at him, before dropping to my knees. “Fine, but we’re not going to tell them.” I torn chunks of meat from the caracas and piled them up. “If they ask say it’s a mountain lion or something. Anything but wolf.”

“Whatever,” Cane snapped a bone and licked at the insides. “Do as you want.”

I took the meat back to the gorge and made a large pile in the center. Waking the pack one by one, I directed them to the food. Taking a small amount for myself, I went to the mouth of the gorge and lay down. I didn’t need any of them wandering off and see exactly what they were eating. 

Shaking Shiloh gently, I pulled him into my lap. “Hey, I brought you something.”

His tail started to wag, and he took the food from me. Hunger must have covered up the different taste, because no one said a word about it. 

Shiloh wiped his muzzle and held a piece up to me. “You?”

“No. No, I’m fine. You eat up.”

“You.” He sat up on his knees and titled his head. 

I gave him a smile and took the meat from him. He watched me as I ate it. My stomach was turning, through the taste wasn’t that bad. Just the thought made me feel like throwing up. I forced down a couple more pieces Shiloh gave me. The boy finished up and started licking his fur. For being so white, he did stay rather clean. 

“Are you still hungry?”

The sub shook his head and fell into my chest. 

“Are you warm?”

He nodded and curled up in my fur. It was starting to make sense while Fiona alway wanted the extra furs. This little guy was not made for winter. I shifted him in my arms and closed my eyes. Hopefully tomorrow the dominants would have better luck.