Chapter One- Alexander Fricking Ludwig

"Hey! Mom! Shrimpy!"

I groaned as my brother, Brett, ran towards us. It was officially the first day of summer, and my mom and I had just arrived in Los Angeles to visit my brother. We were staying the entire summer, which basically meant the obvious-two months of hell. 

On the bright side, my mom said I was allowed to visit my friend Emily, who'd moved to Los Angeles two years ago. She said she liked it here. I, on the other hand, much preferred my small town in Iowa. It was far less busy, and...quiet. And for a bookworm/nerd like me, quiet was good. Quiet was...blissful. Los Angeles was loud and busy, and far from blissful. 

 "What have I told you about calling me Shrimpy!" I growled, elbowing Brett in the side. 

"Hey! Serena, Brett, no violence!"  My mom laughed, running to hug Brett. 

"Mom! Geez! No hugging in public..." Brett whined, pushing my mom away. I laughed.

"Wuss." I chuckled.  

After we found our luggage, we headed to the beach house we'd rented out for the summer. I-being small and fast-claimed the biggest, coolest room before anyone else had a chance to. So, naturally, I got the room with the king size bed and balcony with a view of the ocean. My mom settled for this-she wasn't exactly the most strict parent out there. After that, I was dropped off at Emily's house. I hadn't seen Emily since last year when she came to visit me in Iowa, so I was pretty excited. The only thing I wasn't excited about was seeing Emily's little brother Josh. 

Josh was an annoying, disgusting seven year old who always had some form of goo on his face. It was disgusting. 

"Hi Shrimpy!" Josh giggled, as Mrs. Lancaster (Emily's mom) answered the door.

"My. Name. Is. Not Shrimpy!" I grimaced at Josh as he called me by my brother's nickname for me. I hated Brett for teaching Josh to call me Shrimpy. Just because I was short, did not give them the reason to call me Shrimpy! 

"Josh, why don't you go tell Emily that Serena's here?" Mrs. Lancaster said, using her "sweet-mothering -voice". Josh smiled and ran off to find Emily.

"It's nice to see you again, Serena!"

"You too, Mrs. L." I said. Emily ran downstairs as fast as she could and hugged me.

"SEREY!"

"EMMY!"

We ran into each others arms and started laughing.

"I missed you!" Emily exclaimed. Her light brown hair tickled my face as she hugged me. 

"I missed you too, Em. Now can you please get your hair out of my mouth!" I laughed as Emily pulled away and brushed her hair behind her ears. 

"So, how's life in Iowa been?"

"Peacful. How's life in the big city been?"

"Busy. And I swear I saw George Clooney the other day!"

I laughed. "Sure you did, Em."

"I did!"

Mrs. Lancaster chuckled. "Emmy, why don't you take Serena out to see the city?"

Emily's face lit up. "Yeah! Come on, Serena, let's go!"

"Well...uh...okay, I guess."

Emily rolled her eyes. "You'll like it, trust me."

~~~

"Em, I think we're lost."

"We are not lost! I know my way around L.A!"