Chapter 9: Reconnection

Disclaimer: I do not own the Twilight saga or any of the Twilight characters. I only own my characters, and the timeline.

Note: this chapter comes after too long of a wait. Sorry guys, but hey, finally got my license!! Thanks dad!
----------------------------------------------
Elaine's POV

The man who has confirmed himself as Carlisle grasps my hand, squeezing me in an effort to tell me to go on. I bite my lip a little, thinking about how to put my dream into words.
He doesn't try and push me to speak, and I can tell why I liked him so much. Maybe even loved him. If the dream was real, I must have loved him very deeply.
We sit in silence, till finally I say,

"I- we were talking to each other. You had a ring."
I whisper.
"Yes, an engagement ring. I gave it to you about a year ago. Do you remember?"
He asks, looking hopeful.
I don't  want to completely crush his hopes.
He looks like this answer would change his whole world. I mean, I do kinda remember, but I don't know if what I remember is a dream or a memory.
"I- I think I do. I'm not so sure."
I whisper.
A little of the hope leaves his face, but some manages to stay.
"Well, it really happened. I hope one day you will be able to remember the whole thing."
I nod,
"I am sure I will."
I am the one who squeezes his hand this time. I don't want the hope to leave his face, in fact, I would do anything to keep it there. I don't quite know why yet.

Edward's POV
Bella and I are laying on her bed. We decided to go back to her house. We had a long day and I needed to get away from the hospital.
Elaine seems like she is doing good.
Carlisle told me that she remembered him proposing to her, and before Bella and I left, Bella hugged her. Elaine remembered that Bella and her were best friends.
Bella is over joyed about that.
I wish it was that easy when it came to her remembering Carlisle.
She's having so much trouble with it, and I can tell that it kills Carlisle.
I can tell that it kills Lane too.
Thank God she remembers who I am. I would die if she didn't.
"Edward?"
I hear Bella say.
"Sorry, I was just thinking. What did you say?" I ask.
"I said, do you think that Elaine will ever remember everything?"
Bella looks at me with hope on her face.
"I think so. I hope so. God, I hope so Bells."
She sits down next to me on the bed, and we cuddle next to each other.
"I'm sure everything will work out, love."  Bella whispers in my ear.
I cuddle up closer to her, and start to pray.
I know God probably doesn't want much to do with me, I mean, I am a soulless monster; but I have to try. For Lane.
God.
Please.
Let my sister remember.
I repeat this hundreds of times while I hum Bella's lullaby, which slowly lulls her to sleep.
I remember when I was little, and Lane use to sing me to sleep.
I miss that.
I miss my older sister.

Elaine's POV
I keep having these dreams. Flashbacks.
Some good, and some bad.
This one was bad.
I was in a ballet studio, and Bella, the girl who I now know is my best friend, is laying in the floor. She is thrashing in pain.
There is a man there.
I know who he is instantly. I want to scream my head out.
James. All of a sudden I can feel the pain of becoming a vampire. When he bite me. When he tore Violet out of me. The blood, the screaming. The horrible burning pain.
"Elaine!" I hear the voice of the man again.
This time he sounds closer, and clearer.
Then, I feel someone shaking me.
"Elaine, wake up, darling. It's just a dream."
Suddenly I am back in the hospital room. Carlisle is shaking me awake.  One last scream gets stuck in my throat.
"Baby, it's me. It's me. You don't have to be afraid. You're safe. It's okay." He says.
I look around, and then look into his eyes.
"I'm- I'm sorry. I had a nightmare." I stutter.
He shakes his head.
"You don't have to be sorry. It's okay.  Do you want to talk about it?"
I think about it for a second, then nod.
"I was in this ballet studio. Bella was there, and I was sitting over her, and all  of a sudden, it turned dark. Do yo- was that real?"
I ask.
Carlisle has a dark look on his face.
"Yes, love. That was real. Bella was in some trouble one day. You saved her life."
Carlisle tells me. I look at him and nod, like I knew what he was talking about. No matter how hard I tried, I couldn't remember the day I saved Bella. What was all the darkness at the end?
I am about to ask him what happened at the end, when I look up to see him staring at me.
I can't help but stare back at him.
Then, I want so badly to kiss him. I want to kiss him with all my might.
"Carlisle." I whisper.
He looks at me as I look at his lips, biting my own.
Finally, his lips smash into mine. It feels like I am flying. It's impossible to describe. All I know is that I never want it to end.
Like all amazing things,
It can't last forever, and it doesn't.