Chapter Two : Dreams

Chapter Two

Written: Feb. 5, 2012

                                              ~  *  ~  *  ~      ~  *  ~  *  ~

       "Maybelline Harrow, Ms. Flawless 2020, was found dead last night inside her home.  No news as to how she was murdered or any suspects as of now.  Police hope to have a meeting in a week. More news..." The reporter continued on, stating any other news that he was told to tell the watching audience, not another thought to Maybelline, who happened to be the first Ms. Flawless. 

       She'd been one of my idols ever since the first time I saw her when I was younger.  Mother would make me watch her videos, learn what she did and how she did it.  To mother's satisfaction, I'd enjoyed watching Maybelline, even copied her in some aspects.

       Maybelline was special.  That was the first ever Parfait Tournament, before the world was totally engrossed in beauty.  She wasn't caked in make-up, as a lot of the modern day Flawless's are, she hadn't ever had surgery to enhance her features.  She appeared in pictures as herself, not some life-like doll that it seemed like everyone wanted to be nowadays.  Suddenly, the reporters voice invaded my thoughts, pulling me out of my memories.

      "This just in.  Another murder has just been discovered.  John Hardy, Mr. Flawless 2020, was just found dead. Again, no news as to how he was murdered. Police will be holding a meeting for his case also with Maybelline's." I stared, unseeingly at the TV screen, my mind racing.

      The first ever Parfait winners have just been killed.  Maybelline, my idol, who I would never get to have a conversation with, was now dead.  Her daughter and granddaughter must be freaking out right about now. 

       And John.  The man who was seventy years old and still looked sexy.  He'd had a natural grace and a handsome face that nobody could deny.  I'd never met him, but I'd heard that he was far from mean and very humble.  He even gave all of his Parfait winnings to charity.

       I pulled myself out of my thoughts and clicked the TV off.  Hearing about the death of the most famous people in U.S. history had numbed me, and I didn't care to hear any more bad news.  I could have just missed an announcement that there was a meteor hurdling towards Earth, either way, I didn't care.

       I got up from the small couch in a trance and walked over to the bed and crawled in under the covers.  Curling myself into a ball, I fell asleep instantly.

       _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _

       I was on stage, waving at the crowd in my formal wear gown.  It hung on my body like a curtain, hugging my barely there curves.  Lights from above the stage reflected on the gold sequins of the dress, scattering golden circles on the stages and some of the audience.  I smiled at them, and it seemed as if my teeth were reflecting the light also, blinding the audience.  I continued smiling and waving, holding the roses in the crook of my arm.  I was a winner.  I was perfect.  I was flawless.

       Suddenly, the scene changed.  Everyone's faces went from adoring to horror struck.  Their shocked eyes moved from me to behind me.  I turned around slowly only to have my view blocked by a wall.

       Only it wasn't a wall.  It was a pile of bodies.  Dead bodies with blood soaking through the beautiful formal gowns and tuxedos.  I could feel my own blood drain slowly from my face. I looked closely at the face nearest mine.  It wasn't a contestant in the 2075 Parfait.  It was Maybelline.  And she had the sickly pale face that can only be achieved with death.  Her normally perfect white teeth were now crooked and browned, smiling at me in a way that made my skin crawl. Every single body in the pile were previous winners.  People who had once been flawless, but were now nothing more than a dead body.

       I felt my body start to shake, and then I was falling towards a pit of death.

       _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _

       I awoke with a start to my mother shaking me.

       "Angelica, wake up!  It's time to go.  We have to be at the airport in an hour." She stopped shaking me and I heard her walk over to my suitcase and throw it onto the bed, not even bothering to try to avoid landing it on my legs.  I cringed as it smacked my shins and opened my eyes.  She was busily pulling clothes out of the closet and dresser and stuffing them into the suitcase.  She was rambling on and on about how I should have already had my suitcase ready.

       I sat up slowly, my legs still pinned underneath the suitcase, and reached my hand up to my head.  It throbbed as memories of the dream washed before my eyes, reminding me of the news I'd heard earlier.  I pushed the thoughts aside as I pulled my legs out from under the now bulging suitcase.

       "Mother, did you hear about Maybelline and John being murdered?" I asked her as I stood up from the bed, stretching my arms above my head.  Whenever you said those names, people knew who you were talking about.  It was basic knowledge and everyone had to take a class on all the past winners of the Parfait in high-school.  It was a requirement.  My mother quickly looked up from her frantic rush at grabbing all of cosmetics.

       "Yes. I did.  It's nothing to worry about, dear.  We don't need you worrying about anything at the next conference." She said indifferently, a slight smile on her lips.  I stared at her in shock.  Maybelline and John had just been found murdered and she doesn't want me to worry?  The murders were enough to make me worry, but the dream just added to the fuel.  Her indifference to the murders surprised me.  I'd thought she'd at least have a little compassion for the now dead legends.  I guess I was wrong.

       "Yes, Mother." I said as I walked to the bathroom, grabbing the pair of clothes she had prepared.  She was in for a great awakening if she didn't want me to worry.  I'm not going to just sit on my butt and watch as Maybelline's murderer is found.  I'm going to go to that meeting with the police and I'm going to learn everything about the murder as I can.  The police are going to be in for a shock to have a Flawless on their team.

                                              ~ * ~ * ~ ~ * ~ * ~

I'm sorry it's so short!

I might come back later and add some stuff in.

Just to make it longer...

I really hope this book becomes popular.

I'd like to hold a contest eventually.

But I have to have readers to do that(: