Prologue - 2009

Prologue

                                                                                         2009

I COULD NOT STOP GRINNING.

I practically was skipping up the steps and gave a firm jab at the doorbell while I calculated the amount of money I had made tonight alone. At the rate I was going, I would have enough money for a new car with some rocking speakers by next week. If I didn't hit up the drive-thru every night, I'd possibly have a few hundred more a week. What can I say? Fries are my weakness.

The door opened and I gave a nod to the stick-figure-of-a-woman standing shakily in front of me, her wide brown eyes reluctantly meeting mine before looking at the blood on my hand. "Hey, Jacky," I greeted, waving the bloodied hand at her.

"I can send for Carol," she muttered, nervously stepping aside to let me in.

"Nah, don't bother. Is he in?"

She gave a small nod. "He is currently in a meeting. But you can wait outside of the library."

I walked past her and began to make my way up the stairs. The library doors were closed, so I leaned against the wall on the opposite side and gave a glance at the minor cut on my forearm. The target I had tonight was a major biter. Considering this was my only injury, I called tonight a major success and an even ten grand made. Ten grade that could go towards helping out around the house and not making me look like a total freeloader.

The heavy doors opened and a tall man with dark skin and even darker eyes looked at me with a friendly smile. "Hello," he greeted with a nod.

"Hey." I didn't want to make small talk. I never made small talk with any of Matthew's friends or business partners.

He looked down at my hand and pointed at it. "You're bleeding."

Even though I was old enough to give a mature response, I couldn't help myself. "Wow, you have some major observational skills. You should be a spy or something."

His lips twitched. "You're quite fiery."

"I prefer to think of it as sassy with a mix of spunk."

Behind him, Matthew stepped out into the hallway and looked slowly between us with a raised brow. Rather than addressing me, he turned towards the man and shook his hand. "Thank you for coming out, Asmund. I will be leaving in a few weeks to finish up the rest of the work."

The man shook Matthew's hand firmly and smiled. "Thank you for seeing me on such short notice. I will see you in a few weeks." He began to walk away but gave me one final glance before disappearing down the stairs.

I shoved away from the wall and brushed past Matthew and practically strutted into the library with a massive grin on my face. "I believe another ten grand is in order," I called over my shoulder, smacking the small glass tube full of my target's ashes onto the table. "And not a single person was around, so give me credit on my stealth."

Matthew closed the door and eyed me with his brow still raised. "You're bleeding."

"Oh my gosh, we have yet another person meant to be a detective!" I received a look of disapproval for that remark. "It isn't a fight unless there's a bit of bloodshed. It just happens to always be my blood being shed."

"I'll have Carol—"

"Don't worry about it. I have some Hello Kitty Band-Aids at home just waiting for me."

He once more seemed disapproving of my behavior, though it didn't bother me to not have his approval. "I didn't expect you tonight. I thought it would at least take you until tomorrow to find him."

I kicked my combat boots onto the coffee table and wiped the blood onto my ripped jeans. "You underestimate me, boss. I'm like a freaking ninja."

He fought a smile and strolled over to the bar cart to pour himself a drink. After taking a sip from his glass, he took a seat on the sofa across from me and watched me. "You should start being more careful, Anna. I'm certain every time I am around you, you're bleeding."

My eyes rolled so hard it almost hurt. "That almost sounded like you actually care what happens to me."

He narrowed his eyes at me, taking a larger sip of his drink. "Do you know how much of a pain it would be to find someone to take your place? All of the paperwork..."

"Woe is me."

He smiled and took another sip of his drink. "Have you eaten? I can have someone make you something."

It surprised me he even showed concerned. Most of the time he mocked me and usually insulted my outfit in some way or another. Instead he seemed rather calm and quiet tonight. "I'll probably grab something on the way home. I'm craving a chocolate shake like crazy."

Matthew shook his head and let out a small sigh. "Those are horrible for you. I can have someone make you something that won't kill you in a few years."

I rocked to my feet and once more rolled my eyes at Matthew, knowing it annoyed it. "Life is short. Also I have a fella waiting for me at home so I should get home before he wakes up. Would hate to look like crap the moment his eyes open."

Matthew took another sip of his drink and sat the empty glass onto the coffee table between us. "Would hate to cause your lover to worry," he replied and stood up.

I smiled and took a deep breath. David worried about me a lot more than I deserved. He loves long talks about my night, even though I'm fully lying to him about my job and who I'm with. It was nice, in some weird way. It was nice to just sit and talk and for him to legitimately care about what I say, even if the guilt of the lies ached inside of me. I wasn't used to having someone care about me, as tragic as that sounds. It was completely new to me. I just wish I didn't have to lie to him so often. It killed me to keep so many secrets from David.

"Don't forget about the money!" I called over my shoulder, just about to open the door and let myself out.

Matthew's hand grabbed the doorknob before I could and he opened the door for me. "It'll be in your account by tomorrow."

My eyes narrowed at him and I faked a stern look. "It better be, Mr. Foster."

"Drive safely, Anna."

I glanced over my shoulder so he could see my eyes rolling hard enough for me to look possessed. "I'm an excellent driver. Hardly any accidents."

"I've seen your records and they say otherwise."

I lifted my hand up and allowed my middle finger to flip out at him. "I'll see you for my next target."

He gave a kind smile, his green eyes holding mine for several seconds. "I'll look forward to it."

..........................................................................................................................

Time for book #5 of Joanna's story! I can't believe I'm writing a fifth book, but I'm also not too surprised because I knew from book one that Joanna's story would be a long one. 

Just a little dedication to yeddabix for coming up with the title The Deal Shaker as well as KatherineFrey! I feel like the word "Shaker" goes well for this book because clearly things have gotten a bit shaken up for Joanna and Matthew. 

I wanted to post the prologue today because I am super pumped for this book and still plan to post chapter one on Friday. This is just a little sample of it. I also loved writing the prologue because I got to see how much Joanna and Matthew have changed from their employee/employer relationship in 2009. You can see how mature Joanna has become since then. 

Not going to ramble too much on it! I hope you all have a lovely day and are looking forward to Friday! :) 

-Currie