Epilogue

"Can you come with me for a minute?" Xander's eyes pleaded as he tapped Wendy's shoulder. "It wouldn't take too long, I promise."

Wendy had a puzzled look on her face, "okay," she agreed even though confused.

His hand intertwined with hers as he started to sprint towards the penthouse through the fire exit. "Slow down," Wendy suggested as she tried to keep up with his pace.

"We're almost there," he smiled.

The nip of the autumn breeze welcomed them as they were reminded of the new season; the weak rays of a sallow sun peeking through the clouds as it slowly rested. "It's beautiful," she uttered as they slowly walked towards the railings.

"I thought you might like it," Xander smiled as Wendy returned the gesture.

It's been two years since they graduated from college. She could say everything was normal even though a lot has happened, but Wendy knew well that it would never be the same again. She leaned on the railings, "he would've loved this," she whispered while being reminded of her best friend's undying love for sceneries.

"It's been two years huh," Xander chuckled at the thought, eyes still watching the setting sun. "Everything went by so fast."

Wendy turned her attention to the boyfriend who loves her so much. "I guess so," she smiled, her gaze wandering off to the now orange skies.

"We graduated from college, we both found a stable job, we agreed on things, we argued a lot, we loved –" he sighed, "your mom had me rent the apartment next to yours," they both laughed at the statement. "We basically had our time together."

"Hmm," she hummed.

"But it was never enough for you to forget about him."

Wendy stood straight, eyebrows creased as she looked at Xander. "What do you mean?"

Xander smiled, unfazed of Wendy's question. "Time flew by fast for me, but you were pained by each passing moment. It had me thinking if I wasn't enough, or if I was doing it right at all. Then I knew that it wasn't me after all; it was never me from the start."

"What are you trying to say?" Wendy's subtle sobs started becoming audible.

He faced her, eyes locking onto hers. "We both know you love him."

"But I love you," she enclosed the gap between them as she clung onto his coat for support. "Am I not doing a good job in being your girlfriend? Did I do something wrong? I don't understand!" Wendy felt her heart being pulled into a deep hole. It's as if hands were clawing onto it, sharp long nails digging into it.

It pained him to see her that way, but it was for the best. Xander held her in his arms as his breathing became uneven, his face buried on the crook of her neck. "I know that you do, and I'm very happy because you became mine." He hugged her tighter as she continued to sob, "I love you and you know that I do. But I also know that you love him more than you love me."

"No, it's not like that. You've got it all wrong," she clung onto him, hugged him tight as if he would disappear from her arms.

His heart was drowning; he couldn't breathe but he knew he needed to be strong in order to let her go. He wiped away the tears that stained the face of the woman she loved dearly, "I know you like the back of my hand, Wendy. You're happy with me, but you could be happier with him." Tears started to roll down his cheeks, flooding the view of Wendy's pleading face. He knew this would hurt, he hoped it did. He might be a masochist for wishing so, but it was a form reassurance that the past two years that they have been together was real – that she did love him. "I've had my time with you, and it's more than enough; being loved and taken care by you, being able to stay by your side would be something that I would treasure until the day I die. So, thank you. Thank you for everything up until now. Thank you for the memories, thank you for trying to hold onto me, thank you for crying and laughing with me." He placed a kiss on her forehead, his hand caressing the sides of her arms. He locked his gaze onto her, eyes showed of a mixture of love and pain, a longing he was aware of once he let her go. "Thank you for loving me, Wendy. But right now, it's time for you to realize your own feelings."