III - Sing

"Now Azriel, don't forget to always be kind. No matter how mean and nasty someone is to you, don't stoop down to their level."

Malia smiled down at her son. Her precious son--her everything.

"Sometimes it will be hard, okay? Especially since I won't always be there to help you."

"Most of all, remember to not let anyone take advantage of you. Promise me that, okay?"

"SHUT UP IN THERE, I'M TRYING TO WATCH TV!" My stepfather roared from the room over. Malia winced, gathering Azriel up into her arms.

I just wish you followed your own advice, mom.

Why did you have to marry him for my sake?

I used to think of my mom as a glowstick--the more she broke, the brighter she shined. However, if you break a glowstick too much, its light will eventually go out.

~○~

Azriel

"So there's this karaoke concert at the park tonight. I'm going with some friends. You think you can come?" Elliott asked, glancing over at Azriel as they walked down the hallway, school over.

"U-Uh...I don't kn-know..." Azriel began, trailing off. He looked down at his feet, his fingers playing with the hem of his sweater nervously.

"I mean, if you think you'll be uncomfortable, I could tell my friends I'm going alone?" Elliott pushed, noting Azriel's nervous tendencies.

"N-No! I wouldn't, uh, I wouldn't want to be a b-bother," Azriel said quickly. "I-I just don't know if I c-can be out at night..." He looked up to make eye contact with Elliott, albiet nervously. "I will try m-my best!"

"Great, I'll swing by around six? We can grab some coffees or something before we go. Here's my number, let me know if you can go, and if so, send your address." Elliott said. "Well, I've got to run to swim practice. Text me, okay?" He said as he walked away, glancing back at him.

"U-Un!" Azriel said, gazing down at the slip of paper Elliott had handed him.

"Friends?" He thought to himself, biting his lip. "I've never had those before..."

~○~

"No means no, kid. You're not going out. End of story," his stepfather spat, gulping down a beer and tossing the can aside.

"B-But--"

"DID YOU FUCKING HEAR ME? NOW GO GET ME ANOTHER BEER BEFORE I DECIDE TO KICK YOU OUT ON YOUR WORTHLESS ASS!" He roared at him.

Azriel winced, running into the kitchen to grab a beer for his stepfather.

"Just keep smiling."

He ran back out, handing his stepfather a beer. He bent over to grab the discarded can that his stepfather had thrown, only to be kicked onto the ground.

"Get out of the fuckin' way, I'm trying to watch TV."

"S-Sorry..." Azriel crawled away, throwing the can away before running upstairs to his room.

"I can't do it mom. I can't keep smiling. I'm so sorry..."

Azriel bit back a whimper as he let the tears spill down his cheeks.

"It's too hard without you."

~○~

Azriel nervously hit send, biting his lip.

4:31 PM - A
"Hey, I don't think I can come tonight... - Azriel"

Azriel blinked, surprised at how quickly Elliott had responded.