1- The Upperclassmen Files

A small sigh escaped from between my parted lips. "What to do. What to do," I thought repeatedly in my head. Sighing once more, I laid my head back into the grass, feeling the tickle of it as it came into contact with the bare skin on the back of my neck. Staring up into the sky at one of the many oddly shaped clouds, I began chewing intently at a hang nail on my pinky. Wincing in the process, I pulled the nail off and dropped it into the grass next to me. After wiping my finger off onto my jean overalls, I shoved my hands deep into my pockets and tried to ignore the dull pain that was pulsing through my pinky finger.

A smile found its way onto my usually solemn face. I enjoyed listening to the sound of the crickets chirping happily in my ears as the birds tweeted their "good mornings" to each other. Mornings at my house were never this peaceful. I had to wake up around six each morning if I wanted to be able to relax and just take time to think. As I lay in the grass, I would mentally plan out my day and the events that would take place within the next few hours. Around eight, I would quietly make my way back up to my bed room and climb back into bed, hoping not to disturb any of my sleeping family members.

My dad was not too fond about the idea of me leaving the house early every morning. He often complained that, "it was not safe for a young lady to be alone outside so early in the morning" and that, "a girl your age needs all the rest she can get." My mother on the other hand did not care whether I went out in the morning as long as I didn't wake anyone up in the process. Not wanting to get on my mom's bad side, I would always make sure to be as silent as humanly possible when leaving or returning to the house.

Each morning I climbed back into bed just before my sister would wake up. She was also an early bird, much like me, except she waited to wake up at around nine in the morning. Being twins, I guess we have to have something in common with one another. A quick glance at my wrist told me that it was almost time for Jess to be waking up. I filled my lungs with a breath of the fresh outdoor air, letting it out slowly before pushing myself up from the ground and running barefoot back into the house. I walked lightly up to my room, carefully avoiding every creaky floorboard, and tucking my body into my bed.

I pulled the thick cover up over my shoulders and closed my eyes tightly. I wanted to force myself to sleep before Jess woke up. It's not that I don't want to see my sister, it's just annoying being around her all the time. We're just so different. Although Jess and I are so similar physically, were different mentally. I always spent my time worrying about my summer assignments and the many clubs that I had joined for the summer. Not once had I seen Jess doing any work in preparation for the upcoming school year since summer had started. She was always too preoccupied with boys or hanging out with her friends. As pretty as Jess was, she refused to accept any dates from the boys in our grade. Her goal was to score a date with an upperclassman before the end of our upcoming sophomore year. A smirk made its way onto my face as I remembered the way that Jessica's eyes had twinkled and how a dazed look had come across her face when she told me that. I definitely thought that it was possible that an upperclassman would ask her out, but I didn't see what she found so exciting about the thought of it. Suddenly I felt two hands rest on my shoulder before I was gently shaken and pulled from my little reverie.

"Tess, I know you're awake." Jessica's voice came from above me, speaking in a low whisper.

Grunting a little, I rolled over onto my stomach and tried to fake a snore. If only I had any acting abilities.

"I just saw you smile a few seconds ago," she said incredulously.

A defeated sigh escaped from between my parted lips. Propping myself up on one elbow, I smiled sheepishly at Jess. "You've never seen a girl smile in her sleep before?"

Jess rolled her eyes and lifted up the covers of my comforter, sliding in next to me. "Of all people, did you really think that you could fool me with your fake snoring?"