Part 1: Chapter 5

1.5

The limo came to a stop, the rain falling down in what seemed like slow motion as the detective exited the vehicle and the rain drops began to slowly prick his skin. He breathed in, closed his eyes, and as he expected, upon re-opening his eyes, the cameras were flashing at a rate that instilled fear within his churning stomach, an emotion he rarely delt with. He lowered his eyebrows and avoided the flashes as he narrowed his way through the many reporters, some shoving microphones into his face, others having a pencil and pad ready as they shouted questions to him as though he could actually make out more than just every other word.

The paint chipped, and some of the windows broken, it seemed to be the picturesque view of the ghetto. It was about five stories high and everything about it seemed to produce a bad vibe. Perhaps the knowledge of recent murder occurred within the building could be blamed for this onset of emotion. However, it hardly made a difference on its history, but rather the present state it was in. The building simply looked like the prime suspect of something evil happening within its walls.

Officers took it upon themselves to calmly push the jeering crowd backwards as Grey set to work quickly. He took a view of the apartment before waiting patiently for another Officer to join him on his side. It was simply customary, it happened every time. Ruttiger found it important for him to have a guard at all times. Grey, however, found it increasingly annoying.

He liked to perform his work in peace.

However, this time, the presence of a police officer did not join him, but instead, Ruttiger. Grey’s eyes slowly slid away from the view of the building to stare at the other man out of the corner of his eye. The other man was already staring back into his own, also from the corner of his eye. The beady ink-drops.

He gave a thin smile that didn’t quite reach his eyes, one that remained burned into the memories of Grey’s brain, but one that was easily translatable into English words. ‘Caught you.’

Grey blinked and turned his eyes back to the looming apartment complex, the rain still lightly chilling him to the bone as the wind seemed to pick up slightly.

“Grey, I’ve decide to join you on your investigation if you don’t mind.”

Grey said nothing for a moment as squinted within the thick haze of the afternoon before clearing his throat, “As you wish, Ruttiger.”

Ruttiger gave that same smile before it stretched into his signature, toothy, grin. “Good then.” The way his teeth shone in the dim light of the alley almost reminded Grey of a hungry canine, ready to bite down in his flesh at any given moment. The yellow tint from, hardly noticeable to anyone, still stuck to his teeth. Though at first glance they appeared to be the perfect shade of white, they were not. This was why his smiles came in flashes.

Grey swallowed and blinked before turning away slowly.

The alleyway was a bit claustrophobic, green commercial garbage bins lined the brick walls, while fire escapes took up whatever other empty space there was. Pipes drained water down into the narrow walkway, and only added the water already residing within the pot holes.

Grey was the first to make a move within the flashing lights on either side of them from the paprazzi. Ruttiger followed along behind him, a cane swinging back and forth within his hand, rocking back and forth just above the asphaltin a pendulum motion, as his aged eyes winked at the crowd.

Being center of attention had been a thing of his since the day Grey had met him all those years ago.

He still remembered that day fresh in the back of his mind, his trembling hands gripping around his suitcase as his eyes held a contorted face of rage that seemed to burn within Ruttiger’s own beady eyes.