Waking Up A Princess

So, I know I have started about a ,million different stories, but I really love the idea of this one. I actually first wrote part of it for an English assignment and fell in love with the idea of it. I really don't have an updating schedule, but I update pretty often. I would really love some feedback on any of my stories. Merry Christmas and Happy Holidays everyone.

.....................................................

Ailey stepped into the batter's box and time seemed to slow around her. She raised her bat to about ear level and the pitcher began her wind up. The yellow-green ball came spinning, heading for the inside corner of the five-sided plate . With a step, Ailey brought the bat around hard, sending the ball flying back out towards right field. That was enough to bring Christyn around and all the way home. That girl could run.

Time caught up with Ailey as she rounded first, knowing she was going to have to slide if she was making it to second base. She glanced at the third base coach who was screaming as much. A smirk pulled the right side of her lips up as the center fielder threw the ball to the covering baseman. Too slow. Ailey was down, dirt flew as the baseman turned, ball in glove. "Safe," screamed the umpire.

In a matter of seconds, Ailey was back on her feet, her cleats positioned on the base for the best push off. Soon, the next batter was swinging away and Ailey was running full force. She rounded third and with a wave of her coach's arms, she kept going. She picked up on the ball's position as it flew towards home and the awaiting catcher. Again, Ailey was sliding on her hip right through the catcher's legs and across the plate.

Again, she was safe. Her heart raced as she got up from the red dirt knowing full well that she was covered in the stuff. Her white and red pin-stripped pants were a testament to that, but right then it didn't matter. Her run had just won the game. They had been one run behind before the inning and it was the bottom of the last inning. She pushed her helmet from her head just as she was tackled by the rest of her team. That made them state champions.

The team celebrated and cheered. It was everything they had worked for all season. Summer was starting, and Ailey was going to start college with a big state ring on her finger and a scholarship that allowed her to go to her dream school. For one moment, she was thrilled. She was actually happy.

Her coach gave her a bear hug and a single tear fell from Ailey's shocking eyes, leaving a clean trail down her filthy face. "They would be so proud," Coach Coffey whispered. He was right, of course, her parents would have been thrilled.

Three years ago, her parents had died in a fatal car crash on the way to a softball tournament. Ailey had been in the car, too, but she had recovered after a few weeks. She had a scar on her forehead to prove where the glass had nearly split her skull. Her parents hadn't been so lucky. Since then, she had been living with her aunt - who was only eight years older. The two had managed pretty well so far, but it was hard. Every day was a challenge. Coach Coffey had been a big help. Her father had always coached the team, but when he stepped up he did a fantastic job.

Once they were all through celebrating, the girls shook hands with the other team. Coach Coffey told the team they would be eating at a local restaurant to celebrate. Ailey smiled but she wouldn't be going to eat with the team. She wanted to, but today was the day. The sun was setting and she needed to hurry if she was going to make it to the cemetery before the gates were locked tight.

The girls understood and with a few more hugs and cheers, Ailey changed out of her cleats and into a pair of worn Chuck Taylors. She threw her bag into the bed of her old pick up and hurried down the familiar roads. She spotted a few cars at the entrance and knew her family was waiting on her. She reached the mausoleum that housed her parents remains a few moments later. Tears still threatened to fall, but she wouldn't allow that.