Meeting

As of right now I am sitting in a small damp cave near Kanyon Park. My hand is freezing as I write this sentence. Its mid November and I'm sure it'll be snowing pretty soon. Let me start with first grade. I became friends with a girl named Savannah. We met by the swingset in elementary school. We would have sleepovers, mini parties, and play dates. We help each other out when our pets died and class work at school.

It all changed in the end of sixth grade. We got into a small argument that turned into a huge fight. Anyway that weekend she and her parents got into a car crash. No one survived the crashed. I feel terrible when I found out. I need got the chance to tell her sorry.  

Thats when everything changed for me. I started pushing everyone away when I needed them the most. I am starting to realize everything I did wrong. Now I'm going to listen to myself and make things right.

I closed my notebook and stared outside the cave. I could barely see little snow flakes drizzle down from the sky. I pulled my knees up to my chin and rocked back and forth. Sunddenly I heard a voices talking outside the cave. I put my legs down nd listened carefully.

"Son this place ain't so bad," said a man.

"Yea I guess so," said the boy.

"Just wait til you meet some of the people here. Our neighbors seem very kind, and I'm sure the kids at school well treat you very nicely." 

Then I saw the two strangers come out from behind a tree. The father had dark grey hair and hazel eyes. He grew out a bushy beard and mustash. His son looked almost exactly like him but dark hair and light blue eyes. The son looked handsome and young. 

I panicked when I saw them walk toward the cave. I grabbed my notebook and stood up. I brushed the dirt off my pants and stepped out of the cave. By then I hadn't realized that they were right in front of me. 

"Hello young lady," said the father. 

I just smiled and began to walk away, but stopped when the man said, "We're new here and we'd like to get to know the people. May I ask what your name is?"

I looked back and said, "I'm Zaida Evans."

"Pretty name. I'm Harold Hastings and this is my son Darren."

I smiled at them both and shook their hands, "Nice to meet you."

 "It was very nice to meet you too Ms. Evans," said Harold.

I caught a glimspe of Darren trying not to look at me. I felt terrible and said, "Well I should be getting home. It's getting kinda cold out here. I guess I'll see you guys around."

"Okay we'll see you," said Harold.

Darren waved and turned away. I looked down at my feet then walked away. I climbed up to the empty field and strolled across it slowly. By the time I got to the otherside the Hastings' were done exploring and ready to go home. I saw Darren turn and look at me for a split second before he followed his father home.

I sighed and stared up into the sky. Snow flakes landed on my nose. I brushed them off and walked the rest of the way home. I came to an empty house. It was already 7:30 so I decided to read a book for an hour.

My parents finally came home when I was already laying in bed. I pretended to fall asleep because they expected me to be in bed on time. They both came into my room and tucked me into bed. 

My mother kissed me on the forehead and whispered, "Goodnight sweer heart."

I smiled and fell asleep.