Chapter Ten: Jumping out of the Shadow (Aria's POV)

The next day, Anna calls me.

            I pick up, expecting a whole long apology speech. Anna always does that when she screws up. “Hello?”

            “Hey. Listen, we’ve got stuff to talk about.”

            “Mmmm hmmmmm…Listen, before you start, it’s okay. Everything’s fine. You don’t have to apologize.”

            “Well, that’s what I actually called about. So you’re cool?”

            “Yeah. I think we both screwed up a little bit. Our date didn’t go that well. I think we were both a little uncomfortable. But we’re giving it another go.”

            “Oh, that’s great.” Something in her voice tells me that she doesn’t think so. “But why?”

            “I think we were a little uncomfortable with each other. I think it took us totally screwing each other over to realize that we’re both totally screwed up humans.”

            “Oh.”

            Disappointed that I’m not living in your shadow anymore?

            I have to hold myself back from saying that, even though it’s totally the truth. From the first time we met in first grade, Anna’s been the dynamic one. The one that people get attracted to, like flies to honey. With her white-blond hair and exuberant personality, she endeared herself to everyone.

            As for me, I was just her less exciting sidekick. In first grade, I tagged along when people asked her to play. In middle school, boys would approach her, but saw me as stand-offish and snooty. I’ve always been the quiet but interesting sidekick. The one that people are scared to come near, because they thought I was too haughty, too beautiful. They assumed that because I was quiet and didn’t really talk to anybody, that I thought I was too good for everybody.

            For me, dating Austin means finding a guy who didn’t choose Anna over me. Who understands my quiet nature. Who understands me.

            “Well, I gotta go,” I lie.

            “See you around?”

            “Sure. Bye.”

            A few hours later, during my lunch break, my phone rings again. Derek.

            “Derek? Hi, listen, I think last night was a mistake,” I say.

            For a few minutes, he’s quiet. Then he curses me out and hangs up.

            Well, that chapter’s closed.

            Throughout the day, I go around with a lighter feeling than yesterday. I feel….unburdened. I’m fine with Austin. I’m fine with Anna. (Well, kinda.) I’m not fine with Derek, but then again, I never was. Basically, I’m back where I started.

            That night, I burst through the door to my house. My mom’s sitting on the couch, watching some reality show. The one with the people with five thousand kids.

            Anyway, she pops up and says, “We’re having some guests over later tonight, so you have to be nice.” I feel indignation welling up. I have to be nice? I’m not a little kid. “Plus, some guy named Austin called, looking for you. He asked me to tell you to call him back. Who is he?”

            Shit. Why didn’t he just call my phone?

            “Uh…just a friend from school.”

            “Okay. Then go call him back.”

            I go into my room. First, I pick out a dress. My mom always does this. Springing company on me when I least expect it. Important company.

            Then, I steel myself and call Austin.

            He picks up, sounding kind of groggy and sleepy. “Hello?”

            “Hey. My mom told me you called. Why the hell did you call my home phone? And why the hell are you sleeping at five in the afternoon.”

            “Because I wanted an opportunity to talk to the Ned Rochester. Why am I sleeping? Well, I barely slept last night because someone called at three A.M. Besides, it’s dark out already.”

            “Fine. Anyway, why’d you call?”

            “I like being spontaneous. I hate planned dates. I mean, we could still go on our date next week. But I’d much rather have you come over and eat Chinese food on my couch with me. We can watch Netflix, talk. You know. The whole bit. Plus, you’ll feel more chilled out because we’re not in public and it wasn’t in advance, so you don’t have to dress up and stuff.”

            Charmer.

            “My parents are having some guests over tonight, so I can’t come right now. Maybe later, like around nine-ish? That’s the time that people usually start getting drunk, so they won’t notice if I slip out.

            “Sure.” He tells me his address. “See you.”

            “Yeah. Bye.”

            Well, I will behave tonight. Because this night just got a little more bearable.