Chapter Thirty

“I’m going to take a shower,” I mumble, swallowing the rest of my drink without thinking of the consequences.

“Won’t the water be cold?” Mary asks as I stand up, not daring to look Emery sitting on the couch. I won’t even look at Mary, either, in fear of her seeing my glassy eyes.

“I don’t care,” I mutter, exiting the room and climbing up the wooden stairs. As long as I can escape the awkwardness of the living room, and cry without anyone hearing me, I really don’t care. The tears are already falling as I dig in my closet, retrieving warm pajamas. In the shower, I allow myself to sob. I had already guessed Emery didn’t feel the same way, after he didn’t say anything. However what he pulled downstairs, and actually hearing him tell the truth crushed me into a million pieces.

I wince as the cold water rushes over me, making me actually physically numb rather than the emotional one I had been feeling. I stay in the shower for a long time, wondering if my lips are turning blue. It’s almost pitch black except for the small candle I had lit earlier on the counter, giving off a soft glow.

“River?” My eyes grow wide at the slurring of my name. I can’t decide whether I imagined it or not, so with shaky hands, I pull the shower curtain against me. Carefully peeking out, I see the dark figure of Emery standing in my bathroom. While I’m showering. While I’m naked.

“What the hell!” I scream, my voice hoarse from all the crying I had done. Emery steps back, surprised at my yelling voice. “Get the hell out!” I tighten my grip on the shower curtain as Emery stares at me dumbfounded.

“Y-You’re in the shower still?” My face scrunches at his awful speech. He sounds like a child who’s just learned to speak.

“Uh, yeah, I am. How much did you drink?” He thinks for a minute before responding.

“I drank an hour and a half, and you were in the shower for seven beers.” I roll my eyes as he is oblivious to how little sense that made, and he switched his answers around.

“Can you get out?” The water against my back chills me to the bone, and I want to get out of the shower as quickly as possible, although that is hard when Emery is standing two feet away.

“Why?” He tries to lean against the bathroom door but stumbles instead.

Grunting in annoyance, I glare at him. “Just get out now.”

Emery grins at me, and grabs the fluffy white towel beside him. He throws it towards me, and it lands on the edge of the bathtub. Rolling my eyes, I take a step backwards so I’m out of his view. After I’ve turned off the water, I pull the shower curtain so it covers every inch of the bathtub.

“If you look, I will kill you,” I snap, no longer having patience with him anymore. I wrap the towel around me while I hear Emery Hastings giggle. “Turn around,” I order, and peak around the shower curtain. When I see him watching the wall, I clutch the grip on my towel tightly and step out of the bathtub and onto the cold tile. I’m warmer than when I was in the cold water, but I’m still freezing as I shiver to regain my warmth.

I blow out the candle, and let the towel fall to the floor. The sound it makes as it hits the tile sounds much too loud, but I push the thought away. As quickly as I can, I pull on my pajamas, trying to see Emery in the darkness. It’s almost impossible, so I try not to think about whether he can see me or not as I ring my hair out in the sink.

“You’re really pretty, River,” murmurs Emery in my left ear, and I jump away, surprised. Holding my hand over my heart, I take a deep breath to calm myself down.

“Save your breath,” I mutter, trying to find the door in the darkness. My hands press against the walls in the darkness, searching for the doorknob.