Chapter 2

Chapter 2

I shot up out of bed taking deep, calming breaths to slow my heart rate. Flashbacks of the dream came to me piece by piece. I couldn't help but fear that something might happen today. Then questions started flooding me. Who was that Caleb person? What caused my father to be so afraid? Why was I out at a bar? It was just a dream, I told myself snapping back to reality.

Rays of light were shining through the broken windows along the house wall. As I got off the mattress I looked around taking in the musty old house like I had done a few times before. I found this house when my father chased me last. It holds old furniture and to my surprise the taps in the shower still work so I am free to use it. One thing I am grateful for because I am very conscious about my hygiene.

As I made my way across the hall to the bathroom I grabbed the towel in the closet. It's said that a young family lived here previously; rumors say that they were attacked and murdered in their sleep. According to those rumors the parents cleaned the place up after the gruesome killings and left town. So no one has lived in this house since. I guess I am lucky in a sense that someone hasn't bought it, but I am always prepared to leave if that was to ever happen.

I turned the water on hot; I love hot showers in the morning. Sometimes I feel like it washes away all the bad things in my past, if only for a few moments. As I stand in the shower and give in to the soothing heat the water offers I refuse to think about the dream and my fears. After washing my hair and cleaning the dirt from my body I close off the tap to the shower. Wrapping my towel around me and heading back to the bedroom to find some clothes to wear, I settled for some dark blue jeans, a bright blue halter and black hoodie. While towel drying my hair, making my bed and packing my things I was thinking over what I wanted to do today. That's the best part about living on your own with no one to make your decisions for you; you always choose what you want to do. The only downfall is when you can't find anything to do, you're alone.

Today is Friday. I thought over which days Dan and Alec are in at the store. Yup, they should be in around noon; I grabbed my bag, slipping on my shoes and headed out the back door. Dan and Alec are the few friends I have, since I move around a lot to avoid my sadistic stalker, I don't have very many opportunities to make friends. I met Alec; well I should say I ran in to Alec a few months ago during a situation with my father. I was walking back to the abandoned house from the church on the other side of town when I noticed someone on the opposite side of the street. At first I didn't realize it was my father, but when he yelled out my nickname from childhood ("Hummingbird") I knew exactly who it was. Long story short, I ended up running down the back alley where Alec and Dan's store is located, he was unloading the latest shipment of goods from the truck and I hadn't seen him until I practically ran him over. He wasn't angry in the slightest but when he saw my face and scared expression he brought me into his store no questions asked. Since then Alec and Dan have always been there when I need them and have not once probed me for any more information than what I give them.

 *BEEEP!*

I screamed and instantly froze when I realized that I was so lost in my thoughts I had walked blindly in to the downtown traffic.

"Well that was quick." I muttered to myself.