Chapter 32

Chapter 32

My head was still aching from all the thinking and pondering I did last night. Susundin ko ba yung sinabi ni Tripp? Will I chase Drake? And if I did, wouldn't it be tiring and exhausting? Alam naman namin parehas na mapapagod lang kami. It was like ours was doomed. 

I got up and did my morning rituals. There's no use studying for years kung magiging tambay lang naman pala ako sa bahay namin.

"Good morning," I greeted my mom. I went near her and kissed her cheeks. Looked like wala na sila daddy at Dane. "Nasan sila dad?"

My mom motioned me to sit down with her and placed a decent amount of bread and spread on my plate.

She said after finishing, "Andy's at work and your brother is studying. You? Ano ang gagawin mo today?"

I was torn between saying na babalik na ako sa shop and lying about it. Seriously speaking, I want a break. Gusto kong umalis at magbakasyon. Maybe to take things off my mind. Siguro kailangan ko 'to. Lately, my mind had been doing rash things to me. There were nights kung saan hindi ako makatulog. It felt like torture; just lying there and not being able to sleep at all.

"I'm going on a vacation," I said.

My mom beamed at me. "Finally!" she said with glee. "Where are you headed to?"

I shrugged. Wala pa talaga akong plano. I just wanted an escape from the harsh reality. Somewhere where I could be who I was. To be just Alys... 'yung walang hangups, walang insecurities, walang problema. I just wanted to become a kid again.

"I don't know yet. Somewhere South, maybe?"

Mom nodded. "Alright. Call me if you need anything, okay?"

"Okay."

After the delightful breakfast, mom went to work. Ako? I went up to prepare my things. Ilang araw kaya ako mawawala? I think one week would suffice. Siguro naman after that, my mind would be fresh enough not to screw things up. Susubukan ko 'yung sinabi ni Tripp. Maybe I'll try to fix things up with Drake. No, not chase him. I just want to have things back to normal. 

Maybe tama nga si Tripp, I still love Drake. I think I never stopped loving him. He was my epic love. Pero I don't want that kind of love. Gusto ko lang ng tahimik na buhay. Complications would never be my thing.

I finished packing my things after an hour and a half. I went down and got my car key. Pumunta rin muna ako sa kitchen to get some food. This will be a long drive.

"Hello?" I said after picking up the phone. I saw Aya's name on the caller ID.

There was a noise on the other line pero hindi ko na pinansin. I was busy checking my things; baka kasi may nakalimutan ako. ("Alys!") she said with uncertainty. 

"Yeah?"

("Nasan ka? Sabi ni Tita magbabakasyon ka raw?")

I ignited the engine. Hay, Alys. Brace yourself for the long drive.

I typed the destination I was headed to. Mabuti na lang my Nana loved me enough to buy me a European car. How I loved this car.

Sinabi ko kay Aya yung resort na tutuluyan ko. Why was she now interested in my plans? Dati naman kahit iyakan ko na siya, hindi siya sumasama sa akin. Oh how she hated travelling.

("Oh, okay, thanks!") she said and then ended the line. Weird.

The drive to nowhere started. I played songs to lighten up the rather sappy mood. After passing by Manila, I opened the window of my car. The wind was so refreshing. It was like I wasn't in the Philippines.