21

Homebound

Homebound

The next morning, Rick woke up before Katie and Carl.

He kissed Judith goodbye.

He walked over to Katie's bunk and woke her up gently.

"Katie. Katie. Wake up. It's time to go," he whispered gently.

She woke up slowly.

The second she opened her eyes, she saw Rick's bright blue ones.

It almost startled her that he was this close to her face.

He has nice lips, Katie thought to herself.

Next, he woke up Carl.

Katie started packing up all of their gear.

They were going to take the Prius because it was less conspicuous than a big white Mercedes.

Rick got behind the wheel.

They got on the road before everyone was awake.

Herschel was the only one awake to take care of Judith.

Rick drove them out of the prison and they got on the road to what seemed like nowhere.

Luckily, Katie remembered to grab the classic rock CDs out of her car.

She put in an AC/DC CD.

Rick laughed and bobbed his head along to the songs.

Katie sang every word and periodically looks back at Carl dramatically and tried to get him to sing along.

He just rolled his eyes as his dad and Katie made fools out of themselves in the front seat.

Rick was still thinking about the things that he thought of the night before.

Katie was beautiful when she was awake too. He had never noticed just how blue her eyes were or how long her eyelashes were or how white her teeth were or how her laugh sounded like music to his ears or how nice it made him feel when she smiled.

Once they got into serious walker territory, they turned off the music.

From far off, Katie saw a man walking towards them from down the road.

He was alive.

"Rick, look," she said, pointing to the man.

Rick pressed on the gas pedal harder and sped past the man.

He called for help, but they ignored him.

They couldn't afford to take in new members.

Not now.

The Prius stalled for a second and by the time they got her going again, they were caught in the mud.

Walkers started to come towards the car.