Epilogue

Epilogue

Idris, 2025

Christmas

"Dad!" Curling brown hair flying behind her, Cressida Carstairs sprinted down the stairs of the London Institute. "Dad! Max took my book -"

James Carstairs gave his wife, Teresa Carstairs, and exasperated look and turned to his daughter. "Cress, it's Christmas. You can't get along for one day?"

Cress stopped dead in the doorway, appalled. "He took my book, Dad. The one Cassandra Clare came out with - the one about the -"

"Truth of our story," Jem said with a slight smile to Tessa. "Yes. I know, you haven't stopped talking about it since Cassandra came out with it. Max is eight, Cress, you're fifteen -"

"I am the only girl." Cress crossed her arms across her chest and looked to her mother. "Mommy, please tell Dad that books are important."

Tessa looked over to Jem, "She has twenty four brothers."

Jem spread his hands out, palms up and shrugged helplessly, "Can't say we didn't try, Cress." Cress gave him a typical teenage look. "C'mon, that was funny."

"It was totally lame." Cress sighed, slouching over to her father who wrapped his arms around her shoulders. "Dad...." Cressida groaned.

"Fine, fine," Cupping his mouth one hand, Jem called "MAXWELL CARSTAIRS - I believe you have something that doesn't belong to you, young man." A small, lanky boy peered around the door to the dining room and held out a book with a petite silver haired girl kneeling, hand grazing the pages of leather bound book on the cover.

Clockwork Prophetess, the cover read, The Infernal Devices Rewritten Book Three. The girl wore era-inappropriate clothes; jeans, a frumpy forest green sweater with a tanzanite necklace around her neck. Her features were more prominent, her curling silver hair swept over her shoulder; her side profile - blue eyes, sharp cheekbones, small nose and thin pink lips - noticeable and a sharp pain for both Tessa and Jem.

"What part are you at?" Jem asked.

"They just healed you." Cress grinned, snatching the book back from her brother and spinning on her heel. "You're going to tell us the stories this year again, right Dad? And show the pictures?"

Tessa stepped forward, wrapping an arm around her daughter's small shoulders. "Of course he is, he does every year, doesn't he? But we're going to be late if you don't get ready, Cressie, go on. I didn't buy that dress to hang in your closet all year."

Cressida was once again sprinting out of the room, her shoes slapping against the floor echoed through the halls.

Jem stepped up to his place beside his wife, draping his arm around her shoulders. "Happy anniversary, Tessa," He said, kissing the side of her head.

"One hundred and forty seven years." Tessa sighed. "Twenty five kids. By the Angel, James."

"And the Carstairs have arrived!" Jace Herondale boomed, shaking Jem's hand and hugging Tessa.

"Cressie!" Cressida's parabatai, Elizabeth Herondale, called from across the room, her curly red hair bouncing around her shoulders as she met Cressida at the door, winked at William Carstairs (who was four years older than her) and dragged her over to where the other older children lurked in the corner, near the food.

Almost immediately, Cress and Liza had their head together, whispering and giggling. Tessa patted Jem's arm and went off with the women as Jem and his older sons went to throng of men. "Merry Christmas!" Jonah grinned, his smile too wide.