Chapter 10: Don't Cry

"If I was standin' by you, how would you feel, knowing your love's decided, and all love is real..."

Los Angeles, California – September 2016

"We got married in the desert," I told Brian. "We both wore white. Axl's vows brought tears to the eyes of everyone listening: 'I loved you then, I love you now, I'll love you forever'."

Brian wasn't even taking notes anymore, for the last thirty minutes his pen had been discarded and he sat leaning towards me, hanging on my every word. Apparently he was a sucker for a happy ending.

"Axl says I took the puzzle of who he was, assembled the pieces, and he became a complete picture again," I continued, "but I don't think it works that way. I think we all start out whole and love busts us open, spills out all of the good stuff, like a great bottle of champagne, love pops the cork."

"It's an incredible story," he said, finally leaning back in his chair.

"It's funny," I said, "with the guys back on the road again, it's almost like we've come full circle, and here we are, back at the beginning."

"How much credit do you take for ending the cold war between Axl and Slash?"

"Well, I can't take all of the credit but, it was pretty hard for them to avoid each other once Axl and I got back together. Axl says being in a marriage has taught him the skills he needed to be in the band, things like empathy and compromise... Listen, I'm an original groupie, I have just as much invested in Guns N' Roses getting back together as anyone else. Hearing those songs live again, watching them do their thing on stage, it's incredible, it really is."

"Well, I think I have everything I need. Thank-you again, it really is a fascinating story," Brian stood up, taking my hand in both of his. "It's going to be a great issue."

I walked Brian back through the house. As we passed through the living room, I noticed Brian pause momentarily near Axl's massive grand paino which stood in the middle of the room. He reached down and briefly touched the ivory keys before he continued on towards the main foyer. I smiled to myself. Brian was a groupie too.

"Good-bye!" I called from the front door. "It was great meeting you!"

Brian waved from the driver's side window as he pulled away. I closed the door and made my way back to the living room. I sat down at the piano and ran my fingers over the smooth keys, they were cool to the touch. I knew the first few notes, only because I've watched him do it so many times...

When I look into your eyes, I can see a love restrained...

I heard the door connecting the garage and the house open and shut. Suddenly Axl's voice appeared behind me.

"Hey baby," he said, wrapping his arms around my shoulders from behind and gently kissing my neck.

"Funny," I said, "we were just talking about you."